NFHS Sophomore Savannah Keith Wins National Award

Pictured+above+is+NFHS+sophomore+Savannah+Keith%2C+who+has+recently+won+two+awards+for+her+poetry+at+both+a+regional+and+national+level.+Savannah+plans+on+%E2%80%9Cbecoming+an+author+in+the+future+and+making+my+voice+heard.%E2%80%9D+

Pictured above is NFHS sophomore Savannah Keith, who has recently won two awards for her poetry at both a regional and national level. Savannah plans on “becoming an author in the future and making my voice heard.”

JoAnn Ahn, Staff Writer

Sophomore Savannah Keith has been recognized for a regional and national award for Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards program began in 1923 and recognizes the talents, dreams, and creativity of America’s youth today. A few authors and artists, who are a celebrated part of Scholastic’s legacy, include Andy Warhol, Lena Dunham, Sylvia Plath, John Currin, and Richard Avedon.

Over 300,000 works of art and writing were submitted by students from grades 7-12, while the top 1% of the group was acknowledged at the national level of the competition. At the regional level, Savannah won a gold key and a nomination for the American Voices for her poem “Divination.” She continued to the national level where she won a silver medal. According to Savannah, she cannot imagine feeling more passion for anything other than writing. Congratulations to Savannah Keith.