Yakin’ about ‘Yaking

Since kayaking is such a simplistically exciting activity, hitting the waters is now possible at any time of the day. Central Bulldog Sophomore Maria Hansen and younger sister Laney Hansen love making the fifteen minute drive to Lake Lanier just before the sun sets and catching the oranges and yellows cast upon the water.

Natalie Wilson, Features Editor

Sure, tubing with friends in Helen is totally rad. Yes, boating on a summer’s day is a blast. However, if these common activities only leave a longing for a new way to hit the waters, only a paddle and a life jacket are needed – it is time to load up a car full of friends and kayak it out. Kayaking is about as down-to-earth as possible when it comes to a lake day, so if the truth is that a hipster life is the only life worth living, then ‘yaking surely deserves a spot on the daily calendar. Most people never think of kayaking when they weigh their options for the weekend, but the activity should not be so easily disregarded. There are many ways for bored teens to make it happen, even if their inventory is in lack of ‘yaks.

Luckily, Lake Lanier will allow kayakers as long as they have a properly fitting lifejacket that can support their weight on or somehow attached to their kayak, so fretting over the location is unnecessary. There are many entrances to Lake Lanier; in order to find the quickest route, check out this map to see the options. Plus, several businesses around Lake Lanier offer rental life jackets, but most of the time, kayak rentals come with an opportunity to also borrow a life jacket.

The final ingredient is, of course, a kayak, which is an essential part of the kayaking trip. If there are not kayaks lined up in the garage, or no friends from which to borrow one, it is not the end of the road. There are many places to rent one, or two, or however many ‘yaks necessary to fulfill wild dreams of a day on the lake. A few places to look for rentals are:

• The Outside World (Dahlonega)
  • The Outside World has classes on proper kayak safety, basic maneuvers, and how to “read the waters.” Their American Canoe Association (ACA) certified instructors can help boaters at all levels to improve and expand their paddling skills.
  • Appalachian Outfitters (Dawsonville)
  • If a river trip is preferred, Appalachian Outfitters has guide-instructed trips to the beautiful Etowah River, Chestatee River, Yahoola Creek and the Dawson Forest Wildlife Management Area. There are several fun yet gentle rapids, so these trips are recommended for every age group.
  • River Eco Lodge (Buford)
  • The River Eco Lodge offers many adventurous opportunities for reasonable prices. Its staff provide tours in areas around the Buford Dam, fishing trips on Lake Lanier, and paddling trips that last anywhere from an hour to eight hours, depending on the chosen class.

The possibilities are pretty enthralling when it comes to kayaking, so one should not be intimidated by what may seem like such a demanding activity. There are several places to start, and anyone can make a ‘yak-cation’ happen with just a little bit of spirit. There are so many adventures to be had off of the yacht or speed boat, and kayaking is certainly one of the smaller things in life worth enjoying!