North Forsyth Chamber Singers Invited to Perform at GMEA Conference

LMP

The North Forsyth Chamber Singers received an unparalleled honor by being invited to perform at the GMEA In-Service Conference in Savannah, Georgia. The singers preformed a challenging, but exceptional, program on Thursday, January 29th. Now students are back to work on their Large Group Performance Evaluation program. (Photo used with permission by Gene Seese.)

Rayne Crivelli, Staff Writer

The Georgia Music Educators Association (GMEA) holds a yearly conference for musical directors in Georgia to discuss techniques, gain exposure to newly published music, and watch a few of the most select choirs in the state perform. Music educators from all across the state of Georgia gather in Savannah to honor their peers, hone their craft, and hear beautiful music. The choirs invited to conference are among the best in Georgia, and to have a group chosen to attend is an honor above all else.

This year, the North Forsyth High School Chamber Choir was among those selected to attend and perform for some of the most esteemed musical directors across the state, a prestige unparalleled to any they have received so far. The choir has been working on their challenging set list since the first day of school, and all of their work culminated in one 25 minute performance on Thursday, January 29th.

The program consisted of seven songs: “Chariots” arranged by Péter Louis van Dijk, “Lux Arumque” arranged by Eric Whitacre, “Let There Be Light” arranged by Craig Courtney, “I Am Not Yours” arranged by David Dickau, “As Long Ago” arranged by Daniel Gawthrop, “Somewhere” arranged by Robert Edgerton and “Let Everything That Have Breath” arranged by Jeffery Ames. The program began with three spirituals, continued with three love songs and ended with a boisterous worship of God.

There was a preview concert on Tuesday, January 27th held at the Cumming First United Methodist Church. Those who attended were the North Forsyth High School Chamber Singers, as well as the Liberty Middle School 8th Grade Chorus and the Sequoyah High School Singers. All choirs are members of District 9 and were invited to perform at the GMEA In-Service Conference.

Students of North’s choral program are already back to work for their yearly Large Group Performance Evaluation (LGPE), and a pre-LGPE concert will be held on March, 17th at the Cumming First United Methodist Church.