HOSA Competitor Makes National

HOSA members competed in more than thirty events against students from all over the state. Junior Sarah Horne won out against more than 40 other students in her event.

Ethan Simmons

Ethan Simmons, Staff Writer

Last weekend the Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) club was well represented by junior Sarah Horne at a state wide competition. HOSA is a competition based club with more than 30 events ranging from writing to CPR, for students both in high school and college.

Sarah competed against 42 other students in the Extemporaneous Writing event, placing second overall and propelling herself into a qualifying spot for the National Competition in California this summer. “When I had the chance to go to state last year, I had hoped that I could make it to nationals. When I didn’t make it, I was disappointed and decided to change events. After attending this year and getting second place, it has given me hope that even if I don’t succeed at something at first that it is okay to try again. I am very excited to attend nationals this year because it will give me the chance to gain experience that I never would’ve had the chance to gain otherwise. I cannot wait to go to Anaheim (California) and represent North Forsyth at the conference.” Sais Horne.

Going to nationals will not only benefit Horne, but the HOSA club, as well. Nationals is a great opportunity for the club to receive national recognition and find new opportunities for growth. Incorporating new students as well as competing in mote events.

“Action leads to dedication, and dedication to the fulfillment of dreams. This is what I want for my students to realize and achieve as they embark on new areas of exploration. Don’t be afraid to try new things. One day, you will find that right niche that is perfect for you, just as Sarah has found her niche in writing.” Mrs. Perry, HOSA advisor in regards to the win.