Science Ambassadors

Junior Lance Mcgonigle and Noah Bieber stand in front of their science fair projects. The project won fourth place at the state Science fair in Athens, Georgia.

Hailey Yarbrough, Sports Editor

Along with the school year, many clubs are going out with a grand finale. One in particular is the Science Ambassadors where students learn leadership and other skills from their passion for science. From fall to spring, Science Ambassadors host events such as science fairs and family nights at elementary schools.

Junior Corrinne Thompson stated, “It’s extremely heartwarming to be a part of such an awesome program because how we impact the lives of young kids by tapping into their passion for science.”

At these family nights, club members arrive at select elementary schools each month to teach children and their parents about different science topics.

Dr. Governor, a science teacher at North Forsyth, advises this talented group of students. She explains how any person can participate in this club by merely signing up in October and agreeing to attend all the meetings. She also stated, “Science Ambassadors was created to help teenagers develop leadership skills. Students involved in this program commit to running a station at a Family Science Night event at local elementary schools. They conduct an activity with the children and become role models for them and foster a love of science.” This club is one of the youngest clubs here at North Forsyth because this year is its first full year after its pilot group in the spring of 2014.

The State Science Fair was held on March 26 through March 28 in Athens, Georgia. It was the biggest vent that the Science Ambassadors have taken part in this year. The North Forsyth Raiders took home fourth place with the award winning project by Junior Lance Mcgonigle and Senior Noah Bieber. In order for them to have reached a contest of such high prestige, they had to compete in local fairs and win. Then, they are invited to compete in the regional fairs, and the highest scoring projects go on to the state fair where they can share their knowledge with scientists in hopes for scholarships and prizes. Mcgonigle and Bieber rivaled against more than 700 students and seized fourth place.