Pride-Filled College Campuses in Georgia

Photo taken by Emma Franklin, a Kennesaw freshman, of the LGBT+ center at Kennesaw State University. The mission of the center is to provide a safe and supportive zone for people of all gender identities and sexualities.

Diana Rodgers, Web Editor

Going to college in Georgia can be challenging considerably more so if one is a member of the LGBT+ society, but there are still some schools that are outwardly pride positive. For the most part, college is the first time that people are on their own, and for LGBT+ members, it often is the first time that they are away from an oppressive home or area. It is important that they can find college campuses that are supportive of them while being a positive surrounding environment. Hopefully this list of brave, outwardly LGBT+ positive schools will help dispel some worries that LGBT+ students will have when looking for a college to attend.

University of North Georgia

With campuses in Cumming, Gainesville, Dahlonega, and Oconee, UNG is one of the most LGBT+ positive schools that a student can find in Georgia. One can receive a bachelor’s degree from any of the three campuses, but what is really remarkable is that all of the campuses offer Safe Zones and gender neutral restrooms. Safe Zones are people or places that have been set up to be harassment free and respectful places, where people can be themselves. People around the campus (once receiving Safe Zone training) wear the Safe Zone stickers with pride and act as peacekeepers and can report incidents of harassment that occur. Along with the Safe Zones, UNG also has gender neutral restrooms, which make using the restroom safer for people who identify as genderqueer or otherwise.

Kennesaw State University

Located in Kennesaw, Kennesaw State University offers a variety of programs to support the local LGBT+ population including Safe Space, LGBT+ Resource Center, and the Kennesaw Pride Alliance. On the LGBT+ Resource Center, they show their mission statement, which is to, “Provide a safe, supportive, and inclusive space where students of all gender identities, gender expressions, and sexual orientations can come to receive support, resources, and referrals.” Along with the resource center, there is the Kennesaw Pride Alliance that is a club focusing on promoting awareness of all sexualities and gender identities while acting as a safe network for students to reach out to.

Emory University

The last openly LGBT+ positive school that was easy to find was Emory University. Along with  having a Safe Zone and a student resource center, Emory also has a Pride Drag Show, Pride Awards to help make people in the LGBT+ community feel included, and a Queer Connections program that helps LGBT+ students meet others in the area. On top of all of that, last year, Emory ranked in the top 50 colleges for  LGBT+ positivity and support.

These may not be, and probably are not, all of the LGBT+ supportive colleges, but these are all that people can find the easiest and have the easiest time accessing. Applying to college can be a stressful time, but hopefully this list was able to at least grant some relief to a busy and nerve-racked high school junior or senior.