North Forsyth DECA Takes Home 13 Awards at District Competition

The North Forsyth winners of the district competition will be back in action on February 16-18 at the State Career Development Conference in Atlanta. They will compete in categories that will enhance their confidence, experience and knowledge about the fields of marketing, business and finance.

Morgan Champion, Poetry Editor

The members of DECA, a club that prepares emerging leaders in marketing, finance and hospitality in today’s society, represented North Forsyth exceptionally well during its Region 8A competition at First Baptist Church on December 1. The event marked an important milestone for every student involved, as it was the first time the Forsyth County Schools competed separately against each other and because the first through sixth place winners advanced to the next round at the state Career Development Conference in Atlanta. “I felt like I could learn more from the experience this year because of the increased amount of competition,” says sophomore and second time competitor Bella Angell. The Raiders took home a combination of thirteen third, fourth and sixth place awards, and among the winners were Nolan Wagner, James Porter, Zachary Eckert, Bobby Andrews, Brett Nelson, Griffin Hausler, Kyle Allison, Curtis Francelij, Shaun Herock, Lily Cooper, Kristin Iler, Amaya Proctor and Amelia Wielputz.

“I think that competing in the region 8A competition was a great experience,” says first time competitor and fourth place winner Kristin Iler, “It provided a solid preparation platform for those who placed, as well as those who didn’t and plan on trying again next year. Overall, I think that everyone did an excellent job.” Kristin and the other winners will be preparing for the next round of competition, where they will compete against other top placing students in the state, from now until February.

Georgia DECA will be back in action at the State Career Development Conference at Hyatt Regency Atlanta on February 16-18.