NFHS Blocks Popular Social Media Networks from WiFi

Technology is definitely a huge part of our everyday activities. Social media might be just as important to NFHS students and even faculty.

Melina Vergilis, Staff Writer

It is the 21st century, and social media is a friend of many along with cell phones. Popular apps like Snapchat and Instagram are necessities to teens and young adults. Students at NFHS want to be able to snap a selfie of their friends anytime without having to use their data. Everything was going great until the school blocked our favorite social media apps from the WiFi. Students went into full panic attack mode and complaints directed to the administration were through the roof.

Counter-arguments are in play too by faculty. Administration believes that Snapchat and Instagram are distractions from our education and school is not a place to be on a phone 24/7. Although social media is a distraction at times, it is also a way to relax and use responsibly when students have free time. I believe social media apps should be unblocked from our school WiFi because it does give students a chance to give their minds a break. We are in high school, and should have the privilege to be on our devices without using our data. Teenagers cannot and will not be without their phones or social media for more than 8 hours.

Most high school students are aware enough about their grades. Most students at North Forsyth High School do care about their grades and their education because they do not want to be here longer than needed. Phones and technology are not all bad, and social media is an excellent way to show our Raider pride and advertise clubs. Without WiFi, we are unable to capture and share amazing Raider moments!