Forsyth Grows; Schools Continue to Overcrowd

Above+is+a+photo+of+one+of+the+many+homes+which+are+being+built+across+Forsyth+County%2C+attracting+new+homebuyers+and+businesses.+However+along+with+new+recognition%2C+the+social+and+environmental+effects+of+construction+seem+to+be+piling+up.++
Above is a photo of one of the many homes which are being built across Forsyth County, attracting new homebuyers and businesses. However along with new recognition, the social and environmental effects of construction seem to be piling up.

Ramya Raja, Staff Writer

Over the past six months, nearly one thousand homes have been proposed in Forsyth County, and more than half of them are either currently being built or are in the process. Neighborhoods are popping up everywhere, unfinished communities are being completed, and new stores and shopping complexes are appearing all around the county. The reasoning behind the introduction of new residential complexes and convenience stores is primarily a result of the recent election and vote. The new neighborhoods and stores are meant to attract home buyers to Forsyth County, but while the residential contractors build houses in every nook and cranny of Forsyth, some crucial aspects to consider are being left out of check.

There are five public high schools in Forsyth County: North, South, West, Lambert, and Central, and three out of the five schools are overpopulated with more students than they can handle. Classes are overcrowded and counselors are overwhelmed.  Kaitlyn McGrady, sophomore from West Forsyth High School, says “There are always a lot of people in my class, and it is getting a little annoying.”  As of today, schools in Forsyth are already overpopulated with students, yet contractors continue to build more houses and neighborhoods. The new homes will attract homebuyers with children; therefore, more students will attend the already overflowing high schools. Housing manufacturers often do not consider the social effects of adding to an overpopulated school system. Students and teachers will be unable to focus with the large amount of children. In addition to these social effects, there is more damage the new houses across Forsyth can cause.

The environmental effects of growing residential constructions are piling up quickly. Nearly forty acres of trees have been cleared away in order to make room for commercial stores and residential houses. Not only is Forsyth’s greenery being depleted, but ecosystems are being disrupted, and major shifts in the environment are forcing animals to emigrate. Local birds such as goldfinches and house doves, known for being a part of Forsyth County’s beautiful scenery, are leaving as a result of deforestation. Sophomore at North Forsyth High School, Lainey Campbell, feels “Contractors are turning Cumming into a concrete jungle, and it’s stupid!” The depletion of trees and disruptions of ecosystems across Forsyth is causing immense environmental strain and is greatly worrying environmentalists.

With the construction continuing, already overpopulated schools will soon become overflowing and there will soon be less wildlife to enjoy. The new homes across Forsyth are indeed bringing new business and recognition to Cumming; however, the social and environmental costs accompanying the development are having immense impact on our community.

• Forsyth Grows; Schools Continue to Overcrowd

Local

School Shooting Training Drill Carried out at West Forsyth

Local

Lanierland Park: A New Era for North Forsyth

Local

Lake Lanier at Lowest Level since 2012

Local

Gatlinburg Evacuated due to Deadly Fire

Local

Fannin County Wildfire Smoke Reaches Forsyth County

Local

Prevention and Treatment: Drugs are in Forsyth County

Local

Locals Show Support for Breast Cancer Awareness

Local

Cumming Annual Fair Returns

Local

New Walmart Opening Soon Near NFHS

Local

Gas Shortage in Southeast United States Puts People in a Panic