How Jordan Peele’s Second Film Transformed Horror

Director Jordan Peele’s newest film has surprised, yet satisfied many of his fans who were waiting to see his newest project. It showed his versatility and ability to branch out from psychological thrillers.

Anna Anglin, Web Editor

Although Jordan Peele’s newest film, “Us” is not the happy ending and easy to understand plot that his previous film “Get Out” was, it presents its own kind of masterpiece that may not be easy to swallow, but but is ultimately iconic.  Most people know Jordan Peele solely for his comedy and more specifically from the series Key and Peele. However, the creation of the film “Get Out” transformed the way his fans viewed him as a creator and entertainer. Now, his newest project, “Us” has transformed the way we watch and think about horror films.

Anyone who has watched “Get Out” or “Us” knows how much Peele tries to force his viewers to think about every scene and to not watch blindly. To put it simply, you can’t mindlessly watch a Jordan Peele film.

Because of this, going into the movie theatre I prepared myself to watch intently and be met with a lot of twists and turns that Jordan Peele is so known for.  The basic synopsis of the film includes a family who is on vacation in Santa Cruz when they are met with a group of strange invaders who force themselves into their beach house. Upon first arrival, it seems as if they are a couple of harmless kids performing a disturbing prank. Even a group of robbers looking for some extra cash would be more pleasant than what this family was about to encounter. As the group of strangers enter the home, the family quickly realize they are strangely face to face with their doppelgangers, or as the youngest member of the film calls it, “us.” These doppelgangers, or their official name “Tethers,” come from a parallel universe. As the film ensues, it follows the twist and turns of the family trying to survive against their invaders and undercover the mystery and uncertainty behind what exactly is happening to them.

Something that Jordan Peele does extremely well within the film is weaving several symbolic components. One great example is when the main family is settling into their beach house and Adelaide starts noticing double of everything. Two spiders, two frisbees, two cups, making a clear foreshadow that the family will continue to see doubles, specifically themselves. The opening credit scene featured a room filled with a number of white rabbits. Although the opening scene leaves the audience extremely confused, as the film progresses you realize it was to symbolize what the tethers eat in their parallel universe: raw rabbit.

One vital scene that struck a chord with me, and presumably many other viewers, was when  selection Adelaide’s tether first enters their vacation home and sits them down to tell a story.  As Adelaide’s tether (played by Lupita Nyong’o) speaks, her voice alone immediately captured my attention. A raspy, guttural sound that sounds quite opposite of her natural speaking voice.

This brings on the point of how impressive the cast is. Playing one role as an actor is a enough of a hard task, but the cast within “Us” had to play two that were the polar opposites. Even more importantly, the cast that Peele chose has incredible representation. Although the race of the cast has nothing to with the plot (unlike Get Out), it shows that Peele wants to put a different face to the average horror film.

The film Us is not necessarily for everybody, especially those who expected the film to mirror the psychological thriller that was his previous film “Get Out.” However, if you are looking to watch a horror film that challenges how you normally view a horror film with an impressive cast and a plot that will leave you intrigued, “Us” is the film to see.

• How Jordan Peele’s Second Film Transformed Horror

Editorial/Opinion

Arts Education

Editorial/Opinion

How To Choose Your College Major

Editorial/Opinion

Crossing Boundaries: The Importance of Music Collaborations

Editorial/Opinion

Class of 2020 Is Rising Up

Editorial/Opinion

Xanax Rappers: Your Drug Addictions Are Not Beautiful

Editorial/Opinion

Rising Internet Censorship: The Take-Down of Your Favorite Social Media Apps

Editorial/Opinion

How Animals Can Help Students Relieve Stress

Editorial/Opinion

Mission Trips Matter (But Leave the Heroism at Home)

Editorial/Opinion

NFHS Prom Theme 2019: Yay Or Nay?

Editorial/Opinion

Why Seniors Should NOT Take IE2 Before College