Success and Determination: Changing the Program

Sydney Jarrard
Girls Soccer Team from a few years ago, keeping the mindset of family.

As the year progresses, preparation for the North Forsyth girls soccer season begins. Crystal Fowler, girls head coach, planned interest meetings and asked returning players to vote for captains. The new captains for the 2024 season are Camryn Mekal, Katelyn Tillotson and Annie Bennett. 

With the changing structure this season, preseason will include one day of fitness training a week and one day of captains practices to prepare for tryouts in early Jan. The spring season begins shortly after tryouts and runs through March, but could last longer if the team qualifies for playoffs. 

The girls team had immense progression with emphasizing team collectiveness during pre-season as playing together from early on builds the chemistry between girls, allowing them to play together better.

Annie Bennett, one of the girls captains, spoke about the importance of playing together during preseason, and the positive implications it will have for the team. 

“I want our team to radiate as much positivity, encouragement, and motivation as we possibly can…we need to continue to build each other up, both on and off the field,” she said. 

Bennett emphasizes the importance of acting as a family and being supportive towards each other at all times. The connections between teammates help players to play well together, as the chemistry builds a strong foundation for the team to build upon. 

Captain’s practices will begin this fall, the first one beginning the Tuesday after homecoming week and then officially beginning the first week of Oct on Tuesday’s. The practices will be fully run by the captains, with focus on technical skill and collectiveness as the players learn other teammates tactics so that they can work well together.

Annie Bennett, junior captain, talked about her goals for the practices, and how the practices would lead into the goals and desires for the season.

“I would love to focus on each player’s strengths and finding where we fit best when it comes to scrimmaging, as well as working better when grouped up…I want everyone on our team to be excited and look forward to practice and playing together,” she explained.

Bennett highlighted goals for the season, as she wants the experience this season to build on the passion and love of soccer and for nothing to take away from that. She looks forward to the season, and has high hopes for a successful, and exciting season.

Camryn Mekal, senior captain, shares similar goals for the season. This being her last season with North Forsyth, she desires to end successfully and is excited for the opportunities that this season brings.

Last season was described as somewhat disappointing as the season had potential but fell short from playoffs by one game. This year Mekal is focused on staying positive and centered so they can achieve their goals.

“I would use the word determined [when asked to describe the environment of the team this year]. I want everyone to know that we have the chance to do something really good this year and be the best team yet…I’d like us to go further than we’ve ever gone before this season,” she explained.

The constant focus on preseason and team collectiveness drives the goals of the year. Mekal explained the desire to improve, take the foundation from last year and add to it. She wants to enhance the dynamic of the season.

“[In preseason] I’d like to actually just get everyone out and playing with each other while also focusing on what weak spots we may see early on,” she explained.

The desire for success will propel the girls team to achieve their goals. With emphasis on winning games, as well as the family of a team, the captains believe the team has all the potential to change the history of the program, and go farther than they have before.

About the Contributors
Katelyn Tillotson
Katelyn Tillotson, Staff Writer
Hi! My name is Katelyn Tillotson and I am a senior this year. This is my first year in journalism and I am very excited to be a staff writer! I am editor-in-chief of the yearbook staff this year, and I also play soccer. I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, and I love to meet new people. I enjoy taking pictures and graphic design, along with interviewing people and writing. I am excited to gain more writing experience, and I am also looking to expand subjects that I write on. I am excited for some freedom, and to write fun and interesting articles for students at North!
Sydney Jarrard
Sydney Jarrard, Staff Writer
What's up! I am a junior at NFHS and I am a staff writer on the Raider Wire. Outside of journalism, I am involved in yearbook, student council, and community theatre. I enjoy photography and I want to pursue that and creative writing along with law in college! I love dogs because they're the best. In my very limited free time, I love to read. My favorite books include "Animal Farm," "Emma," and "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall."