Payment as a High School Athlete? Yes!

The North football team from last year, all now eligible for NIL contracts.

As of Monday, Oct. 2, the state of Georgia with GHSA (Georgia High School Association) have now made NIL contracts available for high school student athletes. Georgia is among the 30 other states that have also approved of this arrangement. 

NIL stands for Name, Image and Likeness and is when athletes are paid for their name, image or similar formalities to be used on advertisements or other promotional materials for businesses. This standing is present in professional sports, extended to college athletics in 2021 and as of Oct. 2 is applicable for high school athletes in Georgia. College athletes have the opportunity and can make millions with their NIL contracts, but highschool deals may be different especially due to the age of the players.  

GHSA came to a vote of 66-9 in favor of student athletes receiving the opportunity to earn compensation for their NIL, but many stipulations are occurring for this approval.

Students may take advantage of these opportunities, but the schools decision to provide financial compensation to athletes can not be contested based on their athletic performances, as a bribe to attend their university or provided by/with the school’s in interest.

Students interested in obtaining such contracts are not allowed to use any advertisement of their school, mascot or any other circumstances relating to the high school. Student athletes are also unable to contract or strategize deals while on school grounds. If the student confirms a deal, they must notify their school’s administration within seven days after the contract.

The money received from these contracts will go directly to the student athlete, most often with the byline of their parents. Students are advised to find financial council for advice on their spendings. 

Many people have shared opinions about contracts for student athletes. Ben Finley was interviewed and asked for his opinions. “It allows the athlete to leverage their success on the field into financial opportunities,” he said. At the same time, he shared concerns about what could arise as a potential problem as a result of the contracts. “We’re dealing with children that aren’t aware of the dangers…It’s a cautionary tale in markets like this…” he responded.

GHSA is cautious with this development but this new occasion brings many opportunities for student athletes, and the financial support will offer solutions for college costs as well.

Katelyn Tillotson
Katelyn Tillotson, Staff Writer
Hi! My name is Katelyn Tillotson and I am a senior this year. This is my first year in journalism and I am very excited to be a staff writer! I am editor-in-chief of the yearbook staff this year, and I also play soccer. I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, and I love to meet new people. I enjoy taking pictures and graphic design, along with interviewing people and writing. I am excited to gain more writing experience, and I am also looking to expand subjects that I write on. I am excited for some freedom, and to write fun and interesting articles for students at North!