Is Hocus Pocus a Top Halloween Movie?

Kate Jennings
The Sanderson Sisters, Winnifred, Mary and Sarah, from Hocus Pocus

Halloween has been home to many entertaining traditions for kids and adults alike. From trick-or-treating to Halloween parties, there is a wide range of things to do that are fun for all ages. There is one thing in particular that everyone finds fun on Halloween, and that is Halloween movies. 

There are all kinds of halloween movies available, ranging from innocent and fun children’s movies, to nearly traumatizing horror movies. Adults tend to lean for classic slasher movies such as “Friday the 13th,” “Halloween” or “Scream.” Although, some do enjoy intense horror movies like “The Conjuring,” “The Ring” or even “Human Centipede.” Something about being uncomfortable while watching a movie draws many people in– people who are hoping to feel the adrenaline rush from a good scare. For a younger audience, such intense fear may be too much.Thankfully, there are also more child-friendly Halloween movies available. These may include “Corpse Bride,” “The Nightmare Before Christmas” or maybe “Scooby-Doo.”

Despite the many options readily available, to many people, one movie may stand out in particular. The popular 1993 Disney Plus movie, “Hocus Pocus,” is a movie that rises above and beyond in spooky Halloween entertainment. 

Focusing on the harrowing tale of three witch sisters, this movie follows the main character, Max, and his little sister as they try to defeat the evil “Sanderson Sisters”. 

The Sanderson Sisters are infamous for their desire to grow younger by stealing the souls of young children. After being banished hundreds of years ago, Max lights the black candle in their home which brings them back from their banishment. The sisters make it their mission to hunt down Max and his little sister in hopes of stealing their souls to grow younger. Throughout the movie, the sisters are consistently outsmarted by the group, and eventually after a long Halloween, the main characters manage to send the Sanderson Sisters back into their curse.

This movie is a classic among many families, particularly my own. Growing up, every year on Halloween my family and I would sit down with some candy and watch “Hocus Pocus.” It is a timeless tale that provides both a spooky and comedic atmosphere. There is no fear in the movie, making it appropriate for children, but it also is funny and personable enough to attract adults to watch it. 

So, grab a bowl of popcorn and some candy corn and sit down with your family to enjoy a funny yet appropriately spooky movie with your friends and family.

Kate Jennings
Kate Jennings, Features Editor
Heyy! My name is Kate Jennings, I am the Features Editor and this is my second year of journalism. I am very interested in journalism and photography, I also wish to travel in the future! I would really love to be able to go to Italy and photograph the beautiful architecture. This year in journalism I am excited to grow my experience as a journalist and increase my writing skills! In the future I would love to hold a position as an editor-in-chief if that could be an option for me because I love having leadership positions. I feel my best when I am helping lead people through things so hopefully holding an editor position will be beneficial to me!