Douglas County Teacher Arrested

Wiki Commons
Douglas County teacher arrested on Oct. 27, for child molestation

Andrew Goswick, a teacher at Turner Middle School and softball coach, in Douglas County GA, was arrested on Oct. 27. He is under accusations of child molestation; however, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office started investigating this case on Oct. 4. It took several weeks to build up enough evidence to get a search and arrest warrant on Oct. 27. 

These charges were under child molestation, he was caught having social media interactions with female students without their parent’s knowledge. With further investigation, the Sheriff’s Department discovered that these interactions were explicit in nature, as Goswick was having sexual conversations with female students on social media platforms with students in the same district as him.

The school system began the process of firing the veteran teacher as soon as they heard the allegations. The Douglas County School System has made many statements about the case. These statements include the steps taken after the accusations first took place and the concerns of the school system. The Douglas County School System states “Safeguarding the well-being of our students is our top priority, and student safety remains non-negotiable. The alleged behavior is unacceptable and contradicts the values and professional standards we require of all employees.” This statement comforted many concerned parents as the school system stated that the safety of their children is of the utmost importance and that the sheriff’s department was doing everything in its power to investigate the case and try to prevent it in the future. 

The Douglas County School System placed him on leave and started investigations of their own. Between the Douglas County School system and the Douglas County Sheriff’s Department, they were able to confirm the allegations and immediately fired him from the county’s staff. Without the diligent work of the school system and the sheriff’s department, Goswick could have gone unchecked. 

He is currently being held in jail in Douglas County, without bail. Douglas County Sheriff’s office is continuing the investigation and there are more potential charges and potential court dates. 

Grace Hutka
Grace Hutka, Staff Writer
Hello!! I am Grace Hutka and this is my first year of Journalism. Some of my hobbies include reading and being an coverage editor for the yearbook. When I am not at school, you can find me at my dance studio or hanging out with my family. I am a cat person, and am the proud parent of my Calico named Luna. I am so excited to be a staff writer on the Radier Wire this year. My goal is to learn new things and grow in my writing and photography skills.