Thanksgiving Traditions

John Prato
Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade (2010) ft. Snoopy

Alongside Christmas, Thanksgiving is one of the most widely celebrated holidays, with thousands of families across the country gathering together to express their thankfulness for each other. The holidays are full of different kinds of traditions, each one unique to its own family or culture. 

Most students at North Forsyth have a Thanksgiving tradition that they celebrate with their families, keeping their view of this holiday unique. 

Junior, Ava White, gave an inside look as to what Thanksgiving means to her family, considering that not all of them live close by. “All of my family members live far apart from each other, some in Pennsylvania, some in California – very branched out. Thanksgiving is a time where all of us can come together, and travel across a large distance to spend the holiday together,” says White. 

When asked what Thanksgiving looks like for her, Senior Sarah Pavlin states, “I always make a pumpkin pie and a cranberry salad for Thanksgiving dinner with my grandma. We gather at my grandparents’ house to visit each other, eat the best meal of the year and go hiking in the Smoky Mountains. On Thanksgiving Day, my little brother and I always watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and make parade floats to have a little parade of our own.”

Spending time with family is a big part of Thanksgiving as expressed by Senior, Maddie Lewis, “We all usually go to my grandma’s house, my mom and grandma cook the day before. My uncle, aunt and cousins come over and we all eat and talk.” 

As expressed in several responses, waking up and watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is a large part of celebrating Thanksgiving Day. The parade features many childhood characters blown up into large balloons that are then paraded around New York City, while thousands of people flood the streets to witness the classic American spectacle. 

Thanksgiving is all about expressing your thankfulness for friends and family, so make sure to take time this Thanksgiving to share your love for those who are close to you!

Kate Jennings
Kate Jennings, Features Editor
Heyy! My name is Kate Jennings, I am the Features Editor and this is my second year of journalism. I am very interested in journalism and photography, I also wish to travel in the future! I would really love to be able to go to Italy and photograph the beautiful architecture. This year in journalism I am excited to grow my experience as a journalist and increase my writing skills! In the future I would love to hold a position as an editor-in-chief if that could be an option for me because I love having leadership positions. I feel my best when I am helping lead people through things so hopefully holding an editor position will be beneficial to me!