National Christmas Tree Toppled

+President+Joe+Biden+speaks+at+the+annual+national+Christmas+tree+lighting+after+the+tree+is+successfully+mounted+again.%0A
Wiki Commons
President Joe Biden speaks at the annual national Christmas tree lighting after the tree is successfully mounted again.

The National Christmas tree succumbed to winds going up to 45 miles per hour on Nov. 28. The 40-foot tree, which was positioned on the Ellipse, located at the front of the White House fell at around 1 p.m. 

The tree was mounted on Nov. 14, just to fall over two weeks later. Coming in from Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia, The Norway Spruce became a replacement for the previously used tree that was placed in 2021. 

By 6 p.m. the tree was upright with the use of a crane. There was not any significant damage done to the tree, lights or the ornaments decorating the tree. 

This, however, was not the first time the National Christmas tree had issues this year alone. Previous to the toppling, the tree had already been replaced once due to an unfortunate development of a common tree fungus. This was also not the first time that the Christmas tree had fallen victim to strong winds, also toppling back in 2011 after similar weather conditions.

The long-standing tradition of a National Christmas tree traces back to exactly 100 years ago in 1923. The first National Christmas tree was put up during the presidency of Calvin Coolidge. The first tree stood at 48 feet covered with a total of 2,500 lights. Over the years, the National Park Service assisted in providing the National Christmas tree and also finding ways to preserve energy and create sustainable ways to light up the tree such as utilizing LED lights. 

The lighting of the Christmas tree begins with a speech from the president and an appearance from his family, and thereafter, the lighting of the tree. People from all over the U.S. come by to witness the spectacular example of the Christmas spirit and love for America upheld in such a long, running tradition.

Although this unexpected event seemed to cut close to the lighting time, the tree was swiftly put back up and lit in front of the white house once more. 

About the Contributors
Janis Parry
Janis Parry, Literature Editor
Good day, my name is Janis Parry and this is my second year in journalism. I am a senior with optimistic ambitions about my future and this class particularly. The contents of journalism seem to always lure me into some interesting journey to learn about my surroundings. This class eludes me from a regular school day to a hilarious discussion about anything and everything. I enjoy reading the weirdest works of literature, dancing to any type of music, and creating unlikely scenarios when I’m by myself. My goals for journalism include: quality articles, interesting articles and taking more pictures for my writing. 
Abbey Underhill
Abbey Underhill, Staff Writer
Hi!! My name is Abbey Underhill and I am a senior at North Forsyth. This is my first (but unfortunately last) year in Journalism, and I cannot wait to work on the lit mag and gain new experience in the world of journalism. I am extremely passionate about creative writing as well as drawing, listening to music, fashion, and reading anything I can get my hands on. When I’m not at school, you can find me at work…or thrifting and spending way too much money at Marie’s Italian Deli. I can’t wait to be staff writer for the Raider Wire this year!!