What is The Source?

Jackson Blackwell
The Source donation room.

Across the nation, countless amounts of food have been trashed by high school students. According to researchers from Penn State University, over fifty percent of food served is wasted by students. That’s why North Forsyth High School has initiated a solution to this problem by introducing, “The Source.”

The Source is our school pantry at NFHS, which contains snacks, simple meal items, toiletries and school supplies. These various items go to students and families in need. Students at NFHS can donate to the source by either dropping the items off at the front office or bringing it to Amy Dykes office located in room 203 in the Hub. 

When asked about receiving donations Dykes, head of The Source program at North Forsyth High School, said “We love getting donations because that’s how it’s sustained, and without the donations [The Source] wouldn’t exist.”

In reference to items from the front office or her office, Dykes stated, “All students in the building are allowed to come to the source to get items, whether that’s in the morning or afternoon.” Students are allowed to grab up to three of these items.

Another way students can donate to The Source is by putting food in the bins located in the cafeteria after lunch. Any fruit such as apples or bananas, vegetables and unopened juice and milk can all be placed in the bins after lunch. Students in need can grab any of these items for themselves or their families as well.

The Source serves as a great way to donate food or other items, rather than throwing away items you may not need or eat, for a righteous cause. During this Christmas season, a time of giving and caring for others, donate to The Source to help needy families have a great Christmas.

If your student is enrolled at North Forsyth High School, and you would like to fill out an order form to receive items from The Source, click here.

About the Contributors
Jackson Blackwell
Jackson Blackwell, Staff Writer
Hi! My name is Jackson Blackwell, and I have lived in Georgia my entire life. I am a staff writer for the Journalism program at North Forsyth High School, here in Cumming, Georgia. Also, I am a part of the cross country team at school. I will be taking seven classes at North Forsyth this year, with several different teachers. This is my first year as a member of the journalism program, and I am in the eleventh grade as a junior. The number one thing I enjoy the most as a sports fan is going to Georgia Bulldogs football and basketball games, as well as Atlanta Braves baseball games. I like watching games, or going to games, but prefer to go to them instead. I also enjoy doing things outdoors as well. My goal in journalism is to build on my writing skills, and gain experience in the journalism industry. 
Preston Anderson
Preston Anderson, Sports Editor
Hello fellow classmates! My government first and last name is Preston Anderson and I was born in Georgia located in the United States of America and I am a part of the journalism program here at North Forsyth High School located in Forsyth County of Cumming, GA here in the United States of America. This is my third year at North Forsyth High School located in Forsyth County of Cumming, GA here in the United States of America, and this year I have 7 classes and 6 teachers at North Forsyth High School located in Forsyth County of Cumming,GA . My passions include playing sports, watching sports and talking and writing about sports. My hope this year at North Forsyth Forsyth High School located in Forsyth County of Cumming, GA in the United States of America  is to learn about Journalism and produce an excellent newspaper and literary magazine!