North v. Denmark

Rohani Nguyen
Zach Alvarez during the Denmark game.

On Saturday, December 9, North Forysth’s women and men’s basketball teams played a major victory against Denmark,  in a riveting clash of athleticism and tactics. Both games were neck to neck, and kept the audience on the edge of their seats. 

As soon as the ladies game began, tensions were high on the court- as London Weaver, #23, and Emma Rose, #14, continuously made straight shots into the basket; never missing a beat. Denmark had much difficulty recovering from North’s skillful plays, as many attempted baskets turned into airballs. 

Denmark didn’t put up much of a fight, and half time came swiftly as Rose made North’s final basket with a smooth bank shot, setting North in the lead with a score of 47 to 22.

When asked about how she maintained her confidence throughout the game, Rose responded with, “After having a hard week of practice and scouting out Denmark’s team, we saw their offensive threats and knew defense would be a key to win. In previous games, we have struggled to bring intensity early in the first half, but with strong defense that carried over to an effective offense we were able to carry our successes to an overall great win.”  

In North’s return to the second half of the game, Denmark could not keep up. Lindsey Pirkle, #32, made a back and forth struggle at the net with an opposing player and when asked how she managed to maintain her composure she said, “In that moment, I just knew that I had to finish strong. During practices, we always work on finishing hard, and playing through contact. Kud purposefully fouls us so that in a game-like situation, we won’t hesitate when we actually do get fouled.” 

With a final free throw made by Abby Taverr, #13, North Forsyth’s women basketball team was victorious with a lasting score of 73 to 28.  

North Forsyth’s men basketball team also didn’t disappoint, as players were left with second by second choices on the next right move. Denmark had many successful swish balls, which left North with no choice but to perform a box-out, helping their chances of receiving the rebound.

After a successful crossover performed by Brogen Cassey, #2, gave Brayden Turner, #33, a clear slot for a free throw; an alley-oop showed that North Forysth had a very obvious shot at a victory.

With time running out, Denmark attempted making a comeback, but was unsuccessful- even making multiple airballs. North took advantage of Denmark’s stumbled plays, and put up block city against Denmark. 

Ty Womack’ s, #3, successful fadeaway allowed for the men’s baseball team to victoriously grasp the win, leaving Denmark in the dust with a final score of 69 to 41. 

The game against Denmark demanded quick strategic thinking, and lots of teamwork. When asked how North’s teammates address this communication on the court, Junior Brogen Cassey replied, “Just trying to be loud and make sure everyone knows what we’re running..” North’s basketball players always have a game plan, and are not afraid to be loud on the court. 

About the Contributors
Ava White
Ava White, Staff Writer
Hello! My name is Ava White, and this is my first year as a staff writer for the NFHS Raider Wire. Currently, I am in 11th grade and am so excited to be a part of this amazing team. To continue, I absolutely love writing- and the performing arts. Creepy, odd things are so alluring to me- I find unnatural things incredibly interesting. Outside of campus I visit antique stores and locations and attempt to find peculiar  hidden gems. Furthermore, I am so delighted to see what this year will bring, and I sincerely hope to advance my journalism skills. 
Kate Jennings
Kate Jennings, Features Editor
Heyy! My name is Kate Jennings, I am the Features Editor and this is my second year of journalism. I am very interested in journalism and photography, I also wish to travel in the future! I would really love to be able to go to Italy and photograph the beautiful architecture. This year in journalism I am excited to grow my experience as a journalist and increase my writing skills! In the future I would love to hold a position as an editor-in-chief if that could be an option for me because I love having leadership positions. I feel my best when I am helping lead people through things so hopefully holding an editor position will be beneficial to me!
Rohani Nguyen
Rohani Nguyen, Editor-in-Chief
Hello!! My name is Rohani Nguyen and this is my second year in journalism. I am one of the Editor-in-Chief  this year. I love drawing and doing photography. My favorite thing to do outside of school is collecting and reading books. Journalism is my absolute favorite, it is a place where I can be myself and truly love what I am doing there. I enjoy taking photos of different events at sports games as well as special school events! My goals for this year is to help develop and write interesting articles, and to post more fun content! I am excited about this years team and I know that we can do great things!