Man Killed In A Fight in Philadelphia

Thom Carrol
The train that killed the unidentified man.

At 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 4, a 36-year-old man was struck by a train at 34th Street Station in Philadelphia and was killed. Before the incident, the still unidentified man would get into a conflict with 40-year-old Chaz Wearing, and Wearing would throw a couple of punches. According to the Associated Press, the unidentified man would end up on the tracks and the train ultimately would hit him. 

City police are still unsure as to why the men were fighting. Wearing would be caught trying to flee, and the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office accused him of involuntary manslaughter on Friday, Jan. 5. No other injuries were reported, and it is too soon in the investigation to identify the deceased.

This isn’t the first time Wearing’s gotten into trouble with authorities. He also had a warrant for strangulation in Delaware County before this incident. However, news has been reached that perhaps Wearing wasn’t totally to blame. The Philadelphia Inquirer said footage was provided by a witness showing the unidentified man had Wearing cornered, making “threatening gestures” and scolding him. This would cause Wearing to strike out with a blow that had the man falling onto the tracks. The train would come moments later, ending in his death.

A SEPTA passenger, Jacob Davidson, shared his feelings in an article by NBS Philadelphia, “It’s kinda scary that that kind of thing is happening…I thought it was pretty safe”. 

The SEPTA subway station is reviewing its cameras and footage to find the source of the conflict between the two men. Meanwhile, the station has shut down areas between the 30th and 40th Street Stations according to CBS Philadelphia’s article. Following the shutdown, officer Kpana Massaquoi said they were investigating the case. The CBS article would continue to report that a “person of interest” was taken in for questioning at 40th Street Station. Authorities are on the case, determined to find out exactly what happened.

Cameron Simpson
Cameron Simpson, Staff Writer
Hi! My name is Cameron Simpson. I am a freshman, and this is my first time in Journalism. I am now a staff writer here, and I deeply enjoy writing fantasy and mythology based novels (even though I haven’t been able to finish anything yet). I adore reading; some of my favorites being Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan and Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. I wish to be an author someday. My goal this year is to grow in my abilities as a writer and to learn so many new techniques on how to write.