Dr. Perry teaching at North for 29 years!?

Kinley Waltman
The amazing Dr. Perry.

Before teaching for an impressive 29 years at North Forsyth High, Dr. Perry started as a lab tech in college teaching freshman biology courses at UNG. Her 31 years in education reflect a journey enriched with practical knowledge and hands-on expertise. 

During those years of teaching she has taught, “physical science, earth, biology. And now [is] teaching Earth and biology two” which now is known as anatomy and physiology.

Dr. Perry has always thought of teaching as a calling to her. When she was younger, she would come home from school, and “line up [her] stuffed animals in front of [her] chalkboard and easel, [she] would teach them and have lesson plans for them” Dr Perry states. 

She’s been located at North Forsyth for all 29 years of her teaching career. Dr. Perry states that she has been at North for so long because “it feels like a second family. Everybody is so gracious and kind and just loving.”

One of Dr. Perry’s favorite teaching memories is when she does “dissection with anatomy.” She loves it because the students get to dissect organs. She states “They never had that experience before.” When she was a biology teacher, they dissected “clams, crayfish, sharks and squid.” They also dissected fetal pigs; so, every time they did, Dr. Perry would bring in a bacon sandwich and eat it when they did the dissections. 

Advice Dr. Perry would give to new teachers is, “to build relationships.” She states this because it is important to “get to know your students, and where they come from” so they will trust you enough to talk to you every day. Along with students being able to “confide in you and talk about their issues.”

Dr. Perry doesn’t have many strategies that’s helped her teach for so long. She states “Teaching comes naturally to [her]” and she has always been able to do it. Dr. Perry adds, “Teaching isn’t something you can just learn, it’s a gift.” She has always felt that it was God’s calling to have her teach.

Dr. Perry says “[she] doesn’t plan on retiring anytime soon,” however, after teaching, she plans on remodeling her cabin in Ellijay, where she has 62 acres. And split time between Ellijay and Cleveland, where she has 10 acres, she wants to “spend a week in Ellijay and a week in Cleveland.”

Dr. Perry’s 31-year educational journey, with 29 years at North Forsyth High, reflects her enduring passion for teaching. From starting as a lab tech to inspiring students in various sciences, she’s made a lasting impact on the school community. Dr. Perry’s career underscores a deep commitment to teaching and leaving a lasting impression on her students.

Kinley Waltman
Kinley Waltman, Editor-in-Chief
Heyo! My name is Kinley, and I am a junior this year. This is my third year in journalism. I am excited to say I am the Editor and Chief of journalism this year. I enjoy skateboarding and most likely outside of school I am playing with my cat, Kristof. He is such a cuddle bug. I also enjoy watching shows/movies with my mom; our favorite genre would have to be horror or mystery. My goal for this year is to become an advanced writer. I’m very excited for the Lit Mag this school year! Have a bad day.