Braves Set to Open Season Against Rival Phillies

Chris6d
Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia

Last October, the Philadelphia Phillies ended the Atlanta Braves historic season by beating them three games to one in the NLDS. Now as the Braves head back to Philadelphia to open the new campaign, where their season ended last year, they are seeking revenge against their arch-rivals.

Last season the Braves were the best team in baseball, winning 104 games and capturing their sixth straight division title. However, the Phillies ended their title hopes early for the second season in a row. 

Atlanta’s recent postseason losses to Philadelphia have only intensified the rivalry between the two teams, adding to the significance of this Opening Day series. 

When asked about their readiness to start the season, Braves manager Brian Snitker said, “I think the guys are ready to get out of here; it’s been a great spring. Guys have done everything we’ve asked. I think we’ve accomplished everything that we set out to do.”

According to Fangraphs, the Braves are projected to win 97 games and their seventh consecutive division title. The Phillies, meanwhile, are projected to win 85 games and finish second in the division, twelve games back of Atlanta.

Spencer Strider will take the mound for the Braves Friday, coming off of a spectacular season where he finished top five in Cy Young voting. Strider also finished with 281 strikeouts, breaking Braves legend John Smoltz’s single-season record.

Strider reacted to being named opening day starter by acknowledging the team’s “plethora of guys” deserving of taking the mound on opening day, which “certainly makes it an honor” for him.

However, he talked about a season-long approach by adding, “Game one is equally as important as game 162…definitely you know, cool honor for me, but the focus is still toward the end of the season.”

Meanwhile, for the Phillies, superstar Zack Wheeler will toe the rubber on Friday, who has fared well against the Braves in recent memory. He has had an extremely strong spring training, with an ERA of only 1.26 in 14 innings pitched through four starts. 

Philadelphia’s lineup and rotation will look very similar to last season, with few moves over the offseason. 

Atlanta, similarly, will stick with almost the same lineup as 2023 with their biggest offensive addition being Jarred Kelenic, a young talent who was traded from Seattle to Atlanta during the winter. 

However the Braves’ rotation gained a significant piece over the offseason, acquiring veteran Chris Sale. The big lefty has had an illustrious career, and the Braves will hope he stays healthy over the 2024 campaign. He has been impacted by injuries over the past few years, bringing him down from his once elite status.

Both teams look to have promising seasons ahead, as they were among the very best in baseball last season, and return almost the exact same squads as well. The Phillies and Braves both looked primed for postseason runs, and a potential rematch come October.

You can catch the game at 3:05 p.m. EST on Bally Sports South in the Atlanta market, and NBC 10 in the Philadelphia market. All thirty teams will be playing during opening day on Thursday, while the Braves and Phillies wait until Friday due to inclement weather.

Jackson Blackwell
Jackson Blackwell, Staff Writer
Hi! My name is Jackson Blackwell, and I have lived in Georgia my entire life. I am a staff writer for the Journalism program at North Forsyth High School, here in Cumming, Georgia. Also, I am a part of the cross country team at school. I will be taking seven classes at North Forsyth this year, with several different teachers. This is my first year as a member of the journalism program, and I am in the eleventh grade as a junior. The number one thing I enjoy the most as a sports fan is going to Georgia Bulldogs football and basketball games, as well as Atlanta Braves baseball games. I like watching games, or going to games, but prefer to go to them instead. I also enjoy doing things outdoors as well. My goal in journalism is to build on my writing skills, and gain experience in the journalism industry.