Dune: Part Two

The war is only beginning.
deadline
The war is only beginning.

The Dune series was not just a movie: it was originally a book. There are six books in the series and are predicted to have six sequels. The movie was recreated on Oct 22, 2021 featuring many talented actors to play the roles. The actual story line of the series is a bit difficult to catch onto. At first it just seems like people trying to survive in the desert but there is a much bigger meaning behind everything. 

It all starts with a universe that has multiple planets with many different environments. In the first movie introduces Paul,played by Timothee Chalamet,who is the Duke of a planet called Caladan. However, his family moves to the planet of Arrakis to take over governing the planet itself. Arrakis was home to a spice that was used to prolong life. The spice was the most precious thing to that planet and being able to control the spice harvest was a huge honor. 

The planet was first governed by Harkonnes, so they did not like the fact that Arrakis was getting taken away from them. Eventually, this led to the death of Paul’s father. Paul and his pregnant mother were running away, getting stranded when they were found by the Freman.  They were a religious group that was originally from Arrakis that understood the ways of the desert as well as how to survive with limited resources. The Freman were hesitant to help them at the beginning, until they believed that Paul was part of their prophecy. Without spoiling too much, this leads them into war. 

The second movie was renewed immediately after the first Dune was released to theaters. Although it was renewed so quickly after the release, Warner Bros did not start the production until nearly a year later. The filming process did not take long and was actually supposed to come out in 2022, but because of the actor strike the movie was pushed back to late 2023 then early 2024. It was then released on March 1. 

The movie was filmed in Budapest, Hungary and had only lasted five months. Even though Warner Bros had faced many issues with releasing the movie, they came back better than ever. The box office sold $85.5 million within the opening weekend. 

Dune: Part Two was an amazing addition to the series and will be in theaters for only 45 days since its release on March 1. 

Rohani Nguyen
Rohani Nguyen, Editor-in-Chief
Hello!! My name is Rohani Nguyen and this is my second year in journalism. I am one of the Editor-in-Chief  this year. I love drawing and doing photography. My favorite thing to do outside of school is collecting and reading books. Journalism is my absolute favorite, it is a place where I can be myself and truly love what I am doing there. I enjoy taking photos of different events at sports games as well as special school events! My goals for this year is to help develop and write interesting articles, and to post more fun content! I am excited about this years team and I know that we can do great things!