Should Abstract Art Be Replaced?

Wikimedia Commons
Claude Monet’s “Sunrise”

Art has so starkly evolved from what it used to be that it’s nearly unrecognizable. How did we go from elegant mannerist works to a few blobs of paint? A recent influx of geometry and abstractedness in modern art has brought along with it a slew of criticism.

Some like to argue that abstract art, while lacking detail, is still art because it’s a form of expression. Other people argue that if a three-year-old can replicate it, it doesn’t deserve to be displayed among the greats like Picasso and Van Gogh. 

Anna Surin, a French and Russian teacher at North Forsyth High School, creates an excellent scenario: “An artist actually went through all the training and can make a beautiful realistic painting but chooses not to because we have photography for that.”

The concept that photography is replacing realist paintings is interesting because a painting will never look exactly like the real thing, but a photo will. Painting is about trying to capture the light, color and depth of reality. Photography can effortlessly create a replica with one click. One might argue that it takes significantly less skill.

That begs the question of whether or not abstract art should be considered real art. If photography is replacing realism, then abstract art allows artists to “choose to express his [or her] emotions differently,” as Surin said.

No matter the authenticity of modern art, there is still some value found in more classic forms of art. It’s more difficult to discern the meaning of abstract art because there isn’t as much to go off of, which means that modern paintings are gradually losing their significance.

The continual abstractionism of art will be the catalyst for the downfall of modern art. The world needs a rebirth of classic art styles that evoke emotion like Impressionism.

Impressionism originated in the late nineteenth century with Claude Monet and Edgar Degas, along with other artists. The movement is centered around the idea that painting outdoors, rather than indoors, which is where the majority of paintings had been created prior to the Impressionist movement, would provide a better awareness of light in color.

The result was short, unblended brush strokes that conveyed the hastiness of the painting. In fact, Impressionism got its name from Monet’s “Sunrise,” which was critiqued for being a mere “impression” of art. The painting was seen as a sketch or an unfinished work because of the crude style.

On the contrary, impression actually gives the art more character. Being able to see each brush stroke allows the viewer to see more of the artist’s perspective, since the artist had to study light and color in real-time, as it was changing throughout the day. “I like the colors and just the beauty of looking at them,” Surin added.

At the end of the day, there are hundreds of different art styles, and art is subjective. There’s no telling what kind of art the future will hold, but as long as art holds emotion, it will remain impactful.

Iris Chiofolo
Iris Chiofolo, Opinion Editor
Good day.I am Iris Chiofolo and this year, which is my second year in Journalism, I am the opinion editor. This year I want to focus on improving my writing and gaining more writing experience. When I’m not doing schoolwork, I’m probably reading or writing. I have two cats, one who I love more than the other. I also have a dog. I had a fish once.