Cross Country Meet – September 3rd

Freshman, Will Steinman, sprints the final stretch of the 5K cross-country race at Chestatee Middle School.
Photo taken by Allen Carter

The North Forsyth cross-country team participated in a meet on Tuesday, September 3rd at Chestatee Middle School.  At a typical cross-country meet, the top seven runners from each school run in the varsity race, and all of the other runners run in the junior varsity race.

Although the actual race only lasts about twenty-five minutes for an average paced runner, preparation for the race begins the day before.  Practice is normally taken easy so runners are not sore and are able to perform to the best of their ability in the race.

For this meet, runners were able to miss their last class of the day in order to make it to the meet.  Nervousness started kicking in on the bus ride, and many kids listened to music and tried to relax.  When the runners arrive, there is normally anywhere from one to two hours in which they can walk the course, stretch, or just hangout before the race.

After unloading, many runners on the team proceeded to walk the course, and by the time that the race began, everyone knew that it was a mostly downhill course.  This was a major benefit to the runners, and it made for one of the easier courses of the year.

Our team did well overall, and many runners set personal records with their time on this course. The meet was a great experience for the runners, and they look forward to many more great experiences along the course of the season.

Allen Carter
Allen Carter, Staff Writer
Allen Carter is a fantastic writer, and he has a large imagination. When Allen finds himself enveloped in a writing piece, there is no end to the words that come flying out of his pencil (or keyboard).  He enjoys playing sports and is a very active person.  He might seem shy at first, but once you get to know him, he is a very outgoing and has wonderful personality.