• First Day of School August 1
  • Enjoy your summer break!!

Senior Year for Competition Cheerleaders

Photo by Hannah Burton
The 2013 competition cheerleading squad displaying the hard work and dedication at north Forsyth first pep rally. The hours they have worked leads up to their competition against the whole state for first place.

Competition cheerleading is gymnastics and tumbling put together. They dance, cheer, and tumble the whole time through their routine. They compete with girls all around Georgia for first place. There is a lot of time and dedication that goes in their routine and the practice it takes to make it perfect. No matter what the problem might be in their routine they will fix it. This can be dangerous if they fall just like any other sports. I highly recommend that you should go watch one competition.

What makes this program special?

Hannah Whaley: This program is special because all of the girls are like sisters. We love each other and want each other to succeed. There are these really awesome times during practice where we “do one more” which means we pick a skill that needs the most work and do it once with the whole team encouragement. When a girl lands a skill the whole team cheers and forms a big group hug. I love this team because it’s like a family environment.

In your own words sum up what you think you have learned in the past 4 years?

Jackie Hemmis: Do it for your sisters and don’t let failure knock you down. We all rely on each other and during the past 4 years I’ve learned never back down.

Why did you join?

Ryann McGonigle: I joined this program freshman year and have cheered every year since then. I have been cheering ever since I was 6 years old, and I knew that high school competition cheerleading would be even better than the years past because I would be doing it with all of my best friends. I keep coming back because we are all like a family, and I’m not looking forward to leaving this year.

If you could do this all over again would you?

Mckenzie Rutan: Yes. My high school experience would have been completely different without competition cheerleading. In fact, it would have been much less. It has provided me with some of my best friends, best life lessons, and best memories. This is more than a team; it is a family, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

What is your favorite thing about this team?

Rilee Racine: My favorite thing about this team is how much of a family we have become. These girls are some of my best friends, and we all know that we can depend on each other no matter what- both on and off the mat.

What do you do after school and how does it affect your cheering?

Madison Katz: I have a part time job at bass pro. Managing a job and cheerleading can be difficult at times. We practice 3-4 days a week and competition on Saturdays. I try to work as much as I can. During the season I typically work Thursdays and Sundays, and Saturdays if I can.

About the Contributor
Chase Samples
Chase Samples, Staff Writer
Chase Samples is a hard working student who strives to do his best every day. He spends most of his time getting ready for Army basic training. He is a hunter and an angler, and has dedicated his life to it.  He is going to be a infantry man in the United States Army and is going to become an officer. He never lets anybody get him down and does the best he can to help other people.