Varsity girls soccer vs Jackson County

+Raider+Valley+home+of+the+Raiders%0A
Forsyth County News
Raider Valley home of the Raiders

Soccer season is underway and the girls varsity team has started the season with a record of 2-4 thus far. With wins over Heritage and Gainesville, the team looks to improve throughout the rest of the season. Before the Raiders hosted Jackson County on February 23rd, Varsity junior player Sydney Brewer explained that the team can grow as a whole by “working on communication on the field and not putting our heads down after losses.” She also stated that she motivates herself to play well by “reminding myself of my injury a year ago and to fight for her (past self) when I play.”   

When the game began, North controlled the opening kick and looked to score but was intercepted by Jackson County. Jackson County was then able to take it all the way down the field, and they were threatening to score when senior goalie Ava Droze was able to come up with the save, which prevented Jackson County from taking an early lead. After the save, Jackson  tried to score again with a corner kick, but it was taken away by North and the Raiders were able to gain possession and attempt to score.  

As the Raiders kept inching closer and closer to scoring their possession eventually stalled out with Jackson County being able to intercept a pass and take over the possession. After Jackson county took the ball away they were once again looking to score as they took it down the field. They inched closer and closer which allowed them to score what looked to be the 1st goal of the game but it was erased off the scoreboard due to a offsides penalty on Jackson County.  

A little while later the Raiders got the ball back due to a yellow card on Jackson  but it led to nothing as the possession stalled out. Once Jackson County got the ball back they pushed the ball down field and scored the first goal of the game as they would go up 1-0 at the ninth minute mark in the first half. Jackson  tried to score once again to end the half, but they failed to convert, and we went to the half with Jackson County leading 1-0.  

The second half was almost a mirror of the first half, as North was playing amazing defense and preventing Jackson County from extending their lead. But late in the second half, Jackson County put their foot on the gas and scored two goals in the final three minutes of the game, handing North the loss by a score of 3-0.  

After the game, Sydney Brewer spoke about her assessment of the game despite the loss, saying, “ We played pretty well ….. I think we played good as a team.” Varsity junior and captain Katelyn Tillotson had similar thoughts as she said “even though it was a 3-0 loss we played hard and tight, and I’m proud of the fight.” Tillotson also added that a way the Raiders could improve was by saying “We still need more work on our transition game and solidifying our attack.” Despite the loss, the Raiders have a lot to be proud of as they played amazing on defense and were able to stay within striking distance throughout the majority of the game. The Raiders will prepare to travel to Lanier as they take on the Longhorns on Tuesday, the 27th.

Ross Akins
Ross Akins, Staff Writer
Hi! My name is Ross Akins and I am a staff writer.   This is my 1st year in journalism.  My passions are anything that involves sports and I like listening to music all the time.  I also like going to football and basketball games at UGA.  I also am the manager for the basketball team here at North.  I help in practices and pass out water during games and do whatever they need me to do.  My goal for journalism is to advance my writing skills and become a better writer and help with anything in the journalism industry and meet new people.