A Reach For The Flag

oebelanger
The underrated sport of high school sports

North Forsyth’s flag football team coached by Mauricio Buzeta finalizes their effort with an enthusiastic season. The girls tracked through their games with full determination and perseverance. Their endeavors against tough competition are what made this year so renowned. 

For this season, winning against West Forsyth for the first time with a score of 25-13 was a rewarding milestone for the girls. Among their last games, the girls secured a victory against King’s Ridge Tigers 14 to 0. That game served as a fulfilling takeaway from this year’s season of flag football. This year’s season has the most wins the program has had, displaying the dedication the players have to the sport. 

On Wednesday, for the girls’ last game, they gave their all against Lambert. One of the players, a graduating senior, Charlie Walker expressed she expects the team to “grow in size and continue to rack in more wins” for next year. She contends that the team learned “how to rely on each other” as they played this year. With all that being said, her favorite event from flag football was, “All the bus rides to and from [their] games and a super fun senior night.” With only four seniors on the team, out of 33 players, cooperation across all grades of players is vital to the success of each game. 

Despite knowing it’s not their best season, Walker commented the team will work better together to “create a strong team environment.” She also communicated how excited she was about “how far the team has come since past years,” showcasing her enthusiasm for their team. Another senior on the team, London Sercey, added, “lessons learned would definitely be [to not] take mistakes out and anger out on [their] teammates because more mistakes are likely to come” 

Senior night was certainly a favorite amongst the girls, the graduating seniors include: London Sercey, Mya Nix, Natalie Croft, and Charlie Walker. Sercey expands senior night was one of her favorite events because of “getting recognized for the sport” and “seeing how much these girls [her teammates] care for me and how much I care for them.”

Friday, the girls face West Forsyth again for a conference game. Principal Bob Carnaroli announced their victory over King’s Ridge and was eager to congratulate them for their achievement. Although flag football for the girls is coming to an end, the spirit of it continues to reign within the school, making reaching for the flag a reputable sport at North High.

Janis Parry
Janis Parry, Literature Editor
Good day, my name is Janis Parry and this is my second year in journalism. I am a senior with optimistic ambitions about my future and this class particularly. The contents of journalism seem to always lure me into some interesting journey to learn about my surroundings. This class eludes me from a regular school day to a hilarious discussion about anything and everything. I enjoy reading the weirdest works of literature, dancing to any type of music, and creating unlikely scenarios when I’m by myself. My goals for journalism include: quality articles, interesting articles and taking more pictures for my writing.