Drama Department Places Second in One Act

Sophomore Brody Grant and Jaice Haney proudly carry their award certificates. The two have performed in many plays, and were glad to receive the well-deserved recognition. [Photo used with permission by Mary Hayes Ernst]

Ben Bramblett, Staff Writer

North Forsyth’s drama department fought to win the 2nd place overall One Act trophy on October 18, 2014. The team preformed The Passage, placed highly thanks to their hard work and dedication to the program. The play consisted of 30 people, not including parents and staff that supported the performing thespians. The production portrayed a sailor and his crew setting off on an adventurous journey that soon takes a turn for the worst. The play, written by Robert Lawson, is popularly compared to a more poetic version of the novel Moby Dick by Herman Melville.

One of the extraordinary leaders, and drama department advisor Mrs. Mary Hays Ernst, explained the play, their awards, and the drama department as a whole. “We are representing the school in the same way sports teams do, and we like to do well for our region,” explained Ernst. “I really wish we did not have to ‘compete’ in theatre (only one show can represent the region at State One Act). It is not the most important thing we do, but we do like to be as successful as we can be! I like to see us growing.”

Ernst, as well as Ms. Jamie Summerour, Ms. Addison Walden( teacher), and Mr. John Hutchinson(teacher), were all proud to be a part of the theatre with the cast, and seemed to be ecstatic to win the award.

In December, the drama department will perform Catch Me if You Can, and would love the support for their outstanding performances.