A Guide to the Hallways of NFHS

In this photo taken by Leilani Gibbons, Danielle Gibbs imitates directing traffic in the hallway.

Leilani Gibbons, Staff Writer

Whether you are a freshman who is new to North Forsyth, or a senior who knows the hallways like the back of your hand, it is pretty obvious that the school is currently a maze. Due to the construction that began at the end of the 2014-2015 school year, NFHS may seem like a completely different place. Trust me, we all feel just as lost as you. But don’t fret! It may be frustrating trying to get around, so here are a few tips on how to navigate the modified hallways of North Forsyth and reduce the student traffic in them.

Tip #1: If possible, and the weather prevails, walk outside.
I (and many others) have come to realize that the two most crowded hallways in the school are the main hall in front of the lunchroom and the walkway between the 800 building and 400 hall. A great way to avoid these traffic jams is by walking outside in front of the PAC or between the 800 building and the 500 hall. Along with bypassing the crowd, you also have an opportunity to enjoy the outdoors as you head to your next class; it is a complete win-win situation!

Tip #2: If you are walking in a crowded hallway, do not abruptly stop.
The hallways are backed up enough without someone stopping and forcing the people behind them to come to unexpected pauses. In the words of sophomore Maddie Foster, “@ people in the hallway: left foot, right foot and repeat.” If you need to turn around, talk to someone or anything of that nature, please find an area that is not in a direct line of traffic and do it there. Which leads to the next tip…

Tip #3: If you are going to stop and talk to your friends in the hallway make sure that you’re not blocking the path of others
In a bustling high school, such as North, people are trying to get places, and they are usually in a hurry (especially with the detours students take this year). So if you are going to chat with people in the hallways, please try not to be an obstruction.

Tip #4: The hallway is a roadway; walk on the right hand side.
I know we are all guilty of walking on the left side or even the middle of the hallway, against the stream of people going in the opposite direction, but if you can help it, try and walk on the right-hand side. This simply makes the hallway traffic move smoothly and helps everyone arrive to their destination efficiently.

And finally…

Tip #5: When walking in the hallway, being glued to your phone is unnecessary.
When you are walking through a busy hallway, the last thing people around you need is someone who is unaware of their surroundings and not paying attention to where they are going. Not only is this rude, but it can also potentially be unsafe. You could end up running into a wall, tripping over objects in the hallway, or even colliding with another student/ teacher.

I hope these tips can help you bypass the student traffic with ease and assist you in improving your hallway etiquette!