We Don’t Sweat; We Sparkle: An Inside Look at the NFHS Color Guard

The NFHS color guard and marching in action during band camp last summer, preparing their 2016 show, a performance based on the attacks at Pearl Harbor.

Morgan Champion, Poetry Editor

With football season fully underway, North Forsyth is overflowing with school spirit as our team dominates game after game, certainly not in any position give up their well-earned success. However, also giving an excellent performance at all home games is a hard-working, determined, and passionate group of girls known as the color guard. The color guard not only entertains hundreds, possibly thousands of spectators during halftime with the marching band, but much like the football team, they practice spinning and tossing flags and rifles for many grueling hours a week, sweating from the beating sun. They even spent two weeks of precious summertime on the field, preparing a stunning show destined to impress parents, students, and athletes.

“Guard is like a second home to me,” says junior Kayla Montgomery, beaming despite the gloomy, empty hallways of North Forsyth, “I’m new to the school, and band camp really helped me make friends, learn how to get around, and find a place to belong. I was less scared of the first day since I knew I had a group of people who had my back.” Over the course of the season, the team not only gives excellent performances, but also grows to be close friends, family even. The amount of time, blood, sweat, and tears they spend with each other is apparent during practices and their sixth period band class, as the ambience remains happy, supportive, and focused on nothing but their performance and the overall health of the team. “Without guard,” remarks junior Lindsay O’saben, “my high school experience would’ve definitely been different.”

This football season, the girls and the marching band are determined to wow spectators and competition judges with an unforgettable Pearl Harbor themed performance, and based on their days, weeks, and hours of practice, it will not disappoint. Students, parents, and staff can see the NFHS color guard in action during most football games and at select competitions around the state.