Diet Soda Vending Machines: Are They More Harmful Than Not?

Sodas like the ones in the vending machines around the school can cause some health effects.

Melina Vergilis, Staff Writer

Why is it people go for a diet soda over a regular soda? It might be because the word “diet” persuades people into thinking an item is healthy. However, you might want to look closer at the ingredients next time before grabbing a diet soda out of a nearby vending machine.

Research shows the ingredients in diet soda are actually worse for you than a regular soda. One common artificial sweetener found in diet and calorie free foods is aspartame. Aspartame is an artificial sweetener used in sugar-free products. It gives the food item a sweet taste so people will still enjoy it, but feel healthier while consuming it. Granted aspartame is not bad for you, but it is not great either. People claim it helps with weight loss, however it is proven aspartame can cause weight gain. Many people assume a product is healthy because it says sugar free or diet on a label. Customers associate “calorie free” with weight loss, but Brooke Alpert, RD says, “Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain.” Diabetics need insulin, so aspartame would be okay for them and would not cause weight gain as much as someone who is non diabetic.

Even though aspartame is not the ideal option for someone weight wise, it is still approved by the FDA, along with acesulfame potassium, saccharin, sucralose, neotame, and advantame. Diabetics need insulin, so aspartame would be okay for them and would not cause weight gain as much as someone who is non diabetic.

Many people think Aspartame is a huge cause of cancer, however National Cancer Institute says otherwise. Scientists have looked carefully at this reoccurring rumor, but they have yet to find anything. They will continue to research and look closer at it, but for now it remains a rumor.

Students are thrilled about having access to school vending machines, but not thrilled about diet sodas and fat free foods. A majority would choose a regular soda over diet soda, but since the vending machines only provide them with diet, they have no choice. Luckily the vending machines contain water, however most students would prefer the sweeter tasting beverage. Overall, a diet soda here and there will not hurt someone, but you might be weighing yourself and wonder what is causing weight gain.