NFHS Winter Guard Not Competing This Year

The Winter Guard last year performed their show “Lovely” at competition last year. The group gracefully danced along to the peaceful song at competitions, exhibitions, and practices.

Marissa Dintino, Staff Writer

This year, the North Forsyth High School Winter Guard will not participate in any competitions. Instead, they will work on perfecting technique and teaching newcomers, including 8th grade students who are interested in doing fall and winter guard, how to do everything so that they will be prepared for next year.

Although some guard members are upset about not competing, many see it as an opportunity to grow and learn. Though they were close, not enough people signed up for Winter Guard this year, and if they did decide to compete with the numbers they have, they would have rather expensive member fees. Without the competitions, the member fees are significantly lower this year.

As well as the benefit of Winter Guard not being as expensive, they are also glad to incorporate 8th graders into the program. In the past, 8th graders could not participate in winter guard because they were not allowed to compete. Due to this year’s circumstances, 8th graders interested in doing guard next year can participate in this activity.

North Forsyth High School will host an indoor drumline competition in February that the Winter Guard will perform at in exhibition. Their show theme is undecided, but is most likely to be a peppy jazz theme.