Junior Brendan Floody Wins American Legion Contest

Brendan Floody (right), is pictured with his English teacher, Ms. Angela Hollis (left), an AP English Language teacher at NFHS. She acted as North’s faculty sponsor for the entire event.

JoAnn Ahn, News Editor

In the middle of February, Junior Brendan Floody became a winner for the Ninth District American Legion Oratorical Contest with his speech, “Constitutional Apathy.” Brendan was awarded with many scholarships, winning a total of $750 from his wins at the American Legion Post level, American Legion District Oratorical, and the Area 3 contest.

The American Legion Oratorical Contest provides students unique opportunities every year to broaden their skillsets in public speaking, advance their knowledge of our nation’s history, and earn valuable scholarship money. The organization’s function is to be a “patriotic veterans organization devoted to mutual helpfulness…committed to mentoring youth and sponsorship of wholesome programs in our communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting strong national security, and continued devotion to our fellow service members and veterans.”

Brendan states, “This contest has been a wonderful experience that I will always remember. I have been able to further my knowledge of the American Constitution and effectively hone my public speaking skills that I will for not only the present, but for many areas much later in life.”