High Honors: National Honor Society and Beta Club Inductions at NFHS

• Many students were inducted into both National Honor Society and Beta Club Wednesday, Sept. 20. NHS photo used with permission by Steve Angell.

Bella Angell, Staff Writer

Wednesday, Sept. 20 was a busy night at North Forsyth High School. Parents were filing into the school with their students dressed professionally which is not surprising considering the accomplishments of these students. The students are receiving high honors as they are inducted in Beta Club and National Honor Society.

Beta Club is a national organization and is offered to students in grades 10-12 at North Forsyth High School. There is a minimum grade point average required and the student must be in good academic standing. The members of Beta Club are required to participate in a minimum number of community service hours based on Beta Club sponsored events, personal community service and other club’s community activities.

When asked about what he was looking forward to this year, NFHS Beta Club President, Austin Seawright, stated, “I am so excited for all of the upcoming service activities and drives this year! It is going to be a great year!” The Beta Club Induction was held in the Media Center with the officers performing a ceremony that explained the values of Beta Club and what they stand for at North. When asked about Beta Club, Member at Large Officer, Mariela Gomez, commented, “I‘m excited for all the opportunities that being a Beta officer offers.” At the end of the presentations parents and students attended a small reception with the faculty sponsors of Beta Club, Ms. Combs and Ms. Johnson in attendance.

The National Honor Society Induction was held in the school cafeteria due to its impressive size with approximately 70 students welcomed this year. Coach Loveless, NHS faculty sponsor, welcomed parents and students to the induction ceremony and explained that this group of inductees was his favorite because as a teacher “I had most of these students when they were freshmen so I’ve been able to watch them grow.”  President Ashton Bruce and the officers read each student’s name as they rose and walked forward to receive a candle from the lighting ceremony. It was quite impressive with so many students standing quietly with candles as they took their oath to represent the NFHS National Honor Society in the highest regard. National Honor Society is also a national organization and the membership is limited to juniors and seniors at North.  While the academic requirements are strict with a minimum 3.8 grade point average (GPA), the focus is on a well-rounded student in that they represent their school admirably in service, leadership and character. Coach Loveless was joined by his faculty co-sponsor Ms. E. Smith.