AP Lit Halloween Field Trip to ATL

The Shakespeare Tavern is a fun place to watch Shakespeare’s classic writings come to life. (Photo taken from Google Images.)

Anna Goellner, Literary Magazine Editor

On Oct. 31, the senior AP Literature and Composition classes journeyed down to Atlanta to watch a performance of Shakespeare’s Macbeth at the Shakespeare Tavern. Sixty-two AP students crammed into the balcony of the tavern, bubbling with excitement as friends joked with one another and teachers took a breather. Many students were dressed in Halloween costumes, from light-up sweaters to pumpkins on their heads. Field trips are fun, but on Halloween? Even better.

Macbeth, one of Shakespeare’s famous tragedies, is a perfect play for the spooky season, and students were thrilled to see witches, decapitations and ghosts on stage. The lights went out, and the show began.

The Shakespeare Tavern, opened in 1984, is a popular destination for school field trips across the Atlanta area. Built in the same style as the original Globe Theatre in Medieval England, the tavern creates a historic and comfortable environment where students can experience accurate and full-length performances of Shakespeare’s plays.

The Halloween performance of Macbeth was spectacularly done. Bloody, intriguing, and excessively violent, the play allowed students to have a much stronger understanding of the story than they would by merely reading it in class. The AP Literature classes are looking forward to exploring more of the Shakespearean classics as the year continues.