Lady Raiders Have a Tough Break for their First Golf Tournament of the Season

Junior+Grace+Wood+gets+ready+to+hit+a+long+drive+on+to+the+fairway.+Photo+by+Billy+Wood.+

Junior Grace Wood gets ready to hit a long drive on to the fairway. Photo by Billy Wood.

Grace Wood, Sports Editor

North Forsyth High School’s girls golf team had their first tournament of the season on Saturday, Feb. 21. The tournament took place at Arrowhead Pointe Golf Course, almost two hours away from North Forsyth’s home course. Lady Raiders Annie Carpenter, Margaret Montgomery, Grace Wood and Samantha Taylor represented North in the tournament to play against other high school girl teams from all across Georgia.

This particular tournament was a two-man scramble, which is when two players are paired together and play from the spot of the best shot out of the two players. Junior Carpenter and sophomore Montgomery were paired together, starting at hole four. In addition, junior Grace Wood and freshman Samantha Taylor were paired together, starting at hole five. The two pairs played with Chattahoochee High School from Fulton County throughout the tournament. The tournament lasted from 9 a.m. to almost 4 p.m., which is a very long and grueling golf game. A golf game on average should be only 4 hours, but it was extended due to the players in front of the Lady Raiders, taking their time to hit the ball rather than pacing themselves.

Many were worried that the rain would delay the tournament, but it turned out to be a bright and sunny day for the Lady Raiders. However, the rain from the previous days before caused the course to become wet and soggy in the shadier areas, which cost the Lady Raiders some shots that could have been saved. Regardless of the course’s conditions, the Lady Raiders were able to secure several pars and hit some amazing shots. Freshman Taylor proved herself as a potentially strong player for North’s golf team despite the tournament being her first one in high school. She did her best at pulling in for her teammate Wood when they needed it the most. Taylor said, “the tournament was more tiring than I expected, but I had a lot of fun playing in the tournament.”

Unfortunately for the Lady Raiders, their effort was not enough to win as they did not place in the tournament. North’s golf coach, Mr. Loveless is not worried about this loss and is sure that they will work harder to improve their scores for their next tournament. The next event will be held at Hampton Golf Course where they will be playing against Central Bulldogs on March 4.

• Lady Raiders Have a Tough Break for their First Golf Tournament of the Season

Sports

North Lacrosse Obtains Win in Overtime Against Wesleyan

Sports

North’s JV Boys Soccer Team Loses By One Point to Central

News

2019 Testing Schedule for April and May

News

Georgia Storm Scammers

Editorial/Opinion

Music Has Lost Its Soul–Where’d It Go?

Perfect Prom Preparation

Editorial/Opinion

Why You Should NOT Listen To Music While Studying

North Forsyth DECA Takes On the 2019 State CDC

Arabian Nights: Everything You Need to Know about Prom 2019

A Brief History of the St. Patrick’s Day Leprechaun