North Lacrosse Obtains Win in Overtime Against Wesleyan

North Forsyth Varsity Boys celebrate after getting the win over Wesleyan in overtime.

Anes Ribic, Staff Writer

North Forsyth High School’s varsity boys lacrosse team was able to score a win 10-9  against Wesleyan over a very hard fought win in overtime. The game took place on Monday, March 11 at the Raider Valley. The Raiders were the underdogs in this matchup, as Wesleyan had been on a winning streak before facing the Raiders. The varsity team improves to 5-3 record  but is 0-2 in the region while Wesleyan drops to 4-2, but remains 2-0 in the region which determines who they will play in the playoffs. North also took the night to congratulate all of their seniors who worked very hard for four straight years.

Senior James Connard was ready for the matchup before the game as he stated, “We  put a lot of preparation in this game. We woke up at 4 a.m. to get our stamina up and stayed after school to practice the plays we wanted to run in the game. I am very proud to be a part of this team and to have played for North these past four years.” The first half was very slow for North, allowing Wesleyan to take an early lead  4-0. However, Jackson Rosebush’s late goal cut the lead to 4-3. North managed to tie the score before the half which helped keep their momentum going in the second half.

Wesleyan owned the third quarter, scoring four goals in a matter of minutes. The Raiders were collapsing on defense as they could not find an answer for Wesleyan’s high powered offense. North was not able to score anything until the fourth quarter when they went on a scoring spree and  tied the game 9-9 before entering overtime, which is a four minute quarter where the first team to score wins. After two minutes in overtime, North scored the winning goal, ending the game 10-9. After the game, junior Jaiden Prosser was very happy with his win: “This is a very hard team is beat. They came into this game ranked high and I’m very proud that we got this win tonight.” The Raiders were very proud for their hard work which looked to have paid off.