• First Day of School August 1
  • Enjoy your summer break!!

Top Five Scariest Movies

Maddie Lewis
The top five movies in poster form

With the Halloween season officially coming to an end, one of the most famous traditions is to watch scary movies. Some of the most famous seasonal movies are: “Scream”, “Halloween”, “The Exorcist” and many more! However, what do the students at North Forsyth High School consider the scariest movie? Here are the top five: 

1. “The Conjuring” 

While it is no surprise, “The Conjuring” was considered the number one choice for North Forsyth students. The movie was the first in the “Conjuring Universe” and ultimately a big hit. The conjuring follows the true story of Ed and Lorraine Warren(paranormal investigators), who travel to the Perron family’s secluded farmhouse as a supernatural presence has tarnished the home and family. The movie has consistently topped the charts of best horror movies. Senior, Mia Olvera states,”…it [felt] so surreal and [left] me feeling uncomfortable since it’s based on a true story”.   

1. “Insidious” 

The second scariest movie according to North Forsyth is “Insidious”. The film follows a dark entity that attaches itself to a young boy and eventually leads to destruction. Senior, Janis Parry says, “I watched it once and couldn’t sleep properly for a year”. The movie is not as popular as “The Conjuring”, yet it ranks one point higher (at number four) among the scariest movies according to Science. 

1. “Smile” 

The third scariest movie based off of North Forsyth’s peers is “Smile”. While this movie came out a decade later (2022) than “The Conjuring”, it still packs a punch and is full of jumpscares. The psychological horror movie is based on a demon who follows the main character, Rose, until she eventually kills herself. Many say the movie haunts them as nothing is as it seems and the movie takes something innocent (smiling) and twists it into darkness. 

1.  “It” 

A classic in the realm of horror movies and famously written by novelist Stephen King. “It” follows the clown, Pennywise as he tortures the kids of Derry, Maine. Whether one watched the 1990 version or the newest version in 2017, both are packed with gruesome scenes and jump scares. Time and time again, “It” makes the list of top horror movies. Senior Alya Illenbiluan exclaims, “I feel [that] taking [children’s] fears is genuinely scary.” 

1. “Saw” 

Another classic Halloween movie that made the list. “Saw” is considered to be more gruesome rather than scary, but the movie still surprisingly made the list. As for someone who watched it as a young like senior JaShyia Spencer, it can be pretty traumatic, she exclaims, “I still remember it”. The movie is famously known for its franchise of 10 movies and the cultural phenomenon that came about it. It follows random people who are mysteriously captured and put to the test of gruesome acts to ultimately save themselves.  

About the Contributor
Maddie Lewis
Maddie Lewis, News Editor
HIIIIIIIIIIII! My name is Maddie Lewis and this is my second and final year of journalism. I am also in fact the news editor this year, SUPER exciting. I have a dachshund named Molly who happens to be my child. I even have a keychain that reads: “I love Molly”. My kryptonite is Criminal Minds. I’ve watched that show at least 3 times. I also enjoy playing Sims 4 on my playstation when I have time because my obsession comes in waves. I am a true swiftie at heart!! My favorite songs are: “My Tears Ricochet”, “Dorothea”, “I Know Places” and “Dear John”. “Folklore” is a true MASTERPIECE as Taylor poured her heart and soul into the lyrics. Thriller and Horror movies are my forté, believe you me. My favorite movie of all time is Black Swan. My goals for journalism is to have fun for my last year and create a BEAUTIFUL literary magazine.