Christmas is Still Here

Wiki Commons
New York’s famous Rockefeller Christmas Tree

What ever happened to Christmas? One day you blink, and it seems that all that childhood magic is gone. 

When you’re growing up, Christmas is magical and joyful. Santa eats your cookies and drinks your milk, your elf on the shelf causes all sorts of mischief, the reindeer makes a mess in your yard, you made Christmas cookies with your family and there’s nothing hanging over your head, except for your excitement. 

Yes, Christmas is still exciting, but once you’re older, it loses some of its magic. I know now that Santa was never real, and it was my parents the whole time. Santa never ate my cookies; my dad did. My elf on the shelf never caused any trouble, my parents made him look like he did. The reindeer never came, that was just a glitter concoction that my parents had mixed up. I haven’t made Christmas cookies since I was 13. The toys I get on Christmas morning aren’t a surprise, they are exactly as I was expecting since I made my list so detailed. 

I may not see Christmas through a child’s eyes anymore, but I still choose to see it through my eyes. I choose to see the joy in being with your family, having dinner together, and celebrating those Christmas traditions that bring joy into your life. I choose to see the beauty in the Christmas tree, and the lights, and the decorations. I choose to see that despite Santa not being real, there is so much natural magic and beauty to Christmas that no matter your age you can still enjoy yourself. 

I don’t think being a Grinch is for me. There’s so much joy to Christmas that I will continue to choose to hold onto for the rest of my life. 

Kate Jennings
Kate Jennings, Features Editor
Heyy! My name is Kate Jennings, I am the Features Editor and this is my second year of journalism. I am very interested in journalism and photography, I also wish to travel in the future! I would really love to be able to go to Italy and photograph the beautiful architecture. This year in journalism I am excited to grow my experience as a journalist and increase my writing skills! In the future I would love to hold a position as an editor-in-chief if that could be an option for me because I love having leadership positions. I feel my best when I am helping lead people through things so hopefully holding an editor position will be beneficial to me!