Disintegration of Disney: Fallen Empire, Rising Monopoly

Wikimedia Commons
The logo for the entertainment platform Disney Plus. Disney Plus, where you can stream many movies.

Following the scarcity of wealth in the United States, the “dirty thirties” seemed to be propelling society into a rocky start. Although financial depression was at its very strife and many were dejected at the face of a new era, the world was introduced to a broadcast that would inspire new, positive mindsets, as well as bear an empire in the entertainment industry. 

Featuring a beautiful young girl, with perfect pin curls and a knack for cleaning, “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” introduced the first remarkable story that would touch the hearts of many. Leading to the principle of the matter, who was the mastermind behind the craft? Buena Vista, or as most know them: Disney Entertainment.

Ever since Disney debuted in 1937, movie magic has carefully crafted an abundance of titles you’re sure to recognize, such as “Beauty and the Beast,” “Pinocchio,” “The Jungle Book,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “Mary Poppins,” and “Peter Pan,” just to name a few of the hundreds. All of which have made Disney into a multibillion-dollar enterprise. However, as Dante Alighieri once said, “Worldly fame is but a breath of wind that blows now this way, and now that, and changes name as it changes direction.”

The eye-opening motion pictures that captured the breath of audiences worldwide have seeped into pathetic attempts at political signaling and manipulative marketing. 

During the most recent years, some of the most recognizable flops were “Lightyear” and “Strangeworld,” which cost Disney a net loss of 106 million dollars. Although, some revenue loss can be attributed to Disney’s streaming platform, Disney Plus, for being a cheaper alternative to viewing in theaters; audiences are just not feeling the purity of true joy in Disney’s stories anymore.

Most feel that Disney is simply recycling old story plots and aligning them with political propaganda. For reference, 50 percent of Disney’s audience feels as though Disney should, at the very least, implement some modern values if previous plots are to be used again.

An empire that once nurtured generations of children into adults with dreams has now turned into an anti-capitalism catalyst. Buena Vista (Disney) owns mass amounts of the entertainment industry such as Marvel, Pixar, ABC & ESPN, 20th Century Fox, and VICE. Those are just a few of the many corporations turned into cash cows. 

Although some may feel as though Disney is simply advancing through the market, their actions in the marketplace are creating fearful viewers. Everyone has an agenda, and if the majority of entertainment is upheld by Disney, the agenda will be consumed and regurgitated by audiences worldwide.

Disney is turning into a fierce monopoly that will demolish the entertainment industry, and their reputation is on the decline. Truthfully, the motion pictures Disney’s name has been accredited with are not of the same quality they used to be. Audiences miss the old, heart-melting stories that practically gave birth to the most magical memories. 

People love Disney because it allows them to experience joy and escape from the harsh reality of the modern world. Disney has failed to fulfill its mission of making dreams come true, for no dream begins from television propaganda and poorly written scripts.

Ava White
Ava White, Staff Writer
Hello! My name is Ava White, and this is my first year as a staff writer for the NFHS Raider Wire. Currently, I am in 11th grade and am so excited to be a part of this amazing team. To continue, I absolutely love writing- and the performing arts. Creepy, odd things are so alluring to me- I find unnatural things incredibly interesting. Outside of campus I visit antique stores and locations and attempt to find peculiar  hidden gems. Furthermore, I am so delighted to see what this year will bring, and I sincerely hope to advance my journalism skills.