Fourth Annual Joe Dumphy Memorial Golf Tournament raises $31,000

Dana C Doherty

Joe Dumphy was described as having “an incredible work ethic”, which made him an excellent golfer as well as a “solid citizen.” Photo from the Joe Dumphy Memorial website.

Grace Wood, Editor-in-Chief

The fourth annual Joe Dumphy Memorial golf tournament was held on Saturday, September 6, which funds scholarships for high school students who are college bound and this year the tournament managed to raise over $31,000. It is a tournament that memorializes Joe Dumphy, who tragically passed away after a bad car crash in 2015.

The tournament has been taking place once a year for the past four years. Hole sponsors and raffle donations are gathered to raise money for the tournament. The tournament includes a full day of golf, breakfast, lunch and raffle tickets. Each player pays a fee to play which goes to funding the scholarships, and anyone can play in the tournament. Many of the North Forsyth Boys Golf team participates/volunteer at this tournament as well as UNG’s Girls Soccer team. 

The application to apply to Joe Dumphy Memorial scholarship has not been posted yet for 2020. However, the application will be posted on http://joedumphygolf.org/ soon. To be considered for this scholarship, a student must complete an application as well as the submitted materials required in the application. The board is looking for students who are outstanding academically and spiritually who live as Joe Dumphy did in his short life. 

Joe Dumphy is described on a website dedicated to him as having “an incredible work ethic”, which made him an excellent golfer as well as a “solid citizen.” Dumphy would constantly at the golf course; during his summers, he would start practicing at 8 a.m. and go home after 10 to 12 hours. He was always persistent in everything he did, especially with golf, and he was more than happy to help out anyone who needed a few golf tips.

Joe Dumphy had been spending the weekend with his grandparents. After a round of golf on June 27, 2015, his family got into a wreck at the entrance of Chestatee Golf Club. Investigators say that Joe’s grandfather, John Joseph Dumphy failed to yield as he got onto Ga. 400; as a result, another car struck theirs. John Dumphy died on the scene of the cash while three others were injured, including his grandson Joe Dumphy. 

Joe Dumphy lived for another month before passing away at just 15-years-old. Even in death Joe was still giving life to people in need. Five of his vital organs were donated, giving four people a whole new life. Joe Dumphy’s parents continue to honor him by putting on tournament to raise money for scholarships for kids. It was Dumphy’s dream to go play golf at Texas Christian University, and his parents continue to honor through the funding scholarships to those who deserve it the most.

Below is a slideshow of the 2019 Joe Dumphy Memorial Golf Tournament:

https://www.facebook.com/JoeDumphyGolf/videos/733282967133046/?t=3