Troupe 5368 Takes on Thescon

(From left to right) Sophomore Ryan Vander Linde, senior Shirley Arnold, junior Abi Stocksdale, and senior Savanna Grant control two skeleton props in a comic scene of the one act production of “The Passage” as performed on the CSU Mainstage February 6th at Thescon. Due to a dedicated cast and crew, “The Passage” was a great success.

Hannah Manikowski, Editorials Editor

Drama students of NFHS Thespian Troupe #5368 were highly visible and recognized at this year’s State Thespian Conference, held February 5-7 at Columbus State University in Columbus, GA.  For one weekend a year, this conference provides over 4,000 high school drama students from across Georgia with the opportunity to showcase their talents. Forty-seven North Forsyth Thespians attended the conference this past weekend, each involved in performing our productions, auditioning for colleges/scholarships, and/or competing in performance/technical events.  Many students were involved in all of these areas.  In addition, students attended workshops and performances with theatre professionals and other students from around the state.

Our thespians experienced higher levels of success at “Thescon” 2015 than at any previous conference.

*One of only twelve $2000.00 Achievement Scholarships was awarded to senior Hannah Manikowski.
*Senior Sara Pekrul’s Superior Stage Management was recognized in the Individual Event Showcase, marking North’s first appearance on the showcase stage.

*Freshman Phoebe Sweatman won 1st Place in the Costume Quick Change event of the State Tech Challenge.

*Troupe 5368 was recognized as a Gold State Honor Troupe, the highest award for troupes with superior productions and community service/outreach in theatre.
*Four of North’s Performance Individual Events were rated Overall Accomplished, the highest rating available at conference: “Revolting Children” (Group Musical), “Goodbye” (Brody Grant, Solo Musical), “The Search For Signs/Emilie” (Hannah Manikowski, Solo Acting), “The World Will Remember Us” (Brody Grant and Forsyth Central’s Emily Whitley, Duet Musical)
*Three NFHS Thespians were selected for the Opening Number: Sara Pekrul (Stage Manager), Kodi McDearmont (Performer), and Brody Grant (Performer).
*A great performance of “10 Ways to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse” was given by NFHS Thespians in the Freestyle Theatre Festival.
*Two wonderful performances of “The Passage” were given by NFHS Thespians on the CSU Mainstage,
*Nine North Forsyth students auditioned for colleges, all of whom received multiple callbacks.

These students, as well as all those who attended Thescon this weekend, represented North well with their talent and professionalism. Congratulations, North Forsyth Thespians!