Lady Raiders Crush Milton 66-10 in Intense Varsity Basketball Game

The Lady Raiders varsity basketball team played an impressive game on Friday against Milton, in their last regular game of the season. They will now be proceeding to the Region Tournament Semifinals.

Emily Stocksdale, Editor-in-Chief

On Friday, Feb. 1, North Forsyth High School’s girls varsity basketball team faced off against the Milton High Eagles. It was an intense game, and the Lady Raiders fought hard to maintain the lead which they had gained in the first quarter. They won the game with a final score of 66-10.

It was Senior Night, and many students and community members came out to the game in support of the Raiders. In the first quarter, North immediately dominated the scene, scoring 19 total points against Milton’s 0. Junior Ansley Allen, no. 11, made several successful shots.  

Other players of note, besides Allen, include no. 24, junior Caroline Martin, and no. 12, Anna Gliatta. These three girls played extremely well throughout the game and managed to score a majority of the game’s points. Junior Harley Helms, a guard on the team, also played her position successfully in defending and keeping Milton from scoring.

By the end of the second quarter, the score was 32-3 in favor of North. Both teams continued to play aggressively. There were some skirmishes on the court, resulting in player injuries, and Haelim Adle, no. 10, was pulled from the game early in the second quarter. In the third quarter, Martin scored multiple times, running across the court rapidly to attempt a shot and making several free throws. With time winding down in the third, North was in possession of the ball. They passed the ball around to run out the clock, and then with only four seconds remaining on the clock, the crowd yelling to shoot and watching in anticipation, Gliatta shot the ball to earn 3 more points in a true buzzer beater! This brought the score to 54-8 at the end of the third.

The final quarter was abbreviated, starting at six minutes instead of the typical eight. By the end of the game, Milton had still failed to catch up, and they had gotten twice as many fowls as North. After several more free throws and some impressive maneuvers, North ended up winning the game.

Following the game, Martin was pulled into the center of the court to honor her for her achievement of scoring her 1000th career point in a recent game against Lambert High School. This is a very impressive feat which has only been accomplished by seven other Lady Raiders in school history. In addition, Coach Eric Herrick was honored for having led his 300th career game.

Following this game, the girls varsity basketball team has a record of 21 wins and 4 losses for this season. This was their final regular game of the season, and they will now be proceeding to the Region Tournament Semifinals.