Prevention and Treatment: Drugs are in Forsyth County

There are many ways to treat drug addictions. However, the most important one is love.

Bella Angell, Staff Writer

According to the Forsyth County Georgia Student Health Survey 2015, local high school seniors reported that 21 percent used alcohol, 13 percent used marijuana and/or 2.3 percent have used painkillers that were not prescribed in the past 30 days. Officials hate to admit it, but it is true. The use of drugs is mainly caused by stress. There are many situations that can cause stress like the loss of a loved one, fighting and issues within their family and even school itself. Adults, teachers and parents included, can be very demanding sometimes without realizing it. Their expectations are so high and students can only focus on achieving these expectations. Other causes of drug use include a history of drug use in the family, peer pressure, popular media (like movies), rebellion, escape and self-medication.

One way Forsyth County is trying to raise awareness about drugs is through the Forsyth County Drug Summit and Awareness Council. The Drug Summit took place Tuesday Oct. 15, 2016. It discussed the impact of drugs and how teens are being affected by them. The event had speakers that shared their past drug experiences as teens, which included a former North Forsyth High School student, Kendra Turner. She gave her testimony of her drug addiction and her current recovery. Other avenues afforded to those affected by drugs in Forsyth County are the ABBA House, Forsyth County Drug Court, No Longer Bound, Alateen local family group and many more. Our District Four County Commissioner, Cindy Jones Mills, who is active with North Forsyth High School, is the Founder and Chair of the Forsyth County Drug Awareness Council and chairs the Drug Summits.

Professionals believe that drug addiction is a disease that requires more than just one avenue of treatment. Prevention should be the first step. Forsyth County Schools employs a prevention specialist who works with local prevention resources and mentoring. When this is not successful, citizens must turn to local resources available in our community. Local resources available in our community include drug counselors and rehabilitation clinics with inpatient and outpatient facilities. Drug abuse has been tied to crimes, and our local drug court provides incentive for treatment.

According to the Forsyth County 911 Call Center, there were over 30 calls for possible overdose cases placed from January to September of this year. Do not let it be you!  Visit www.forsythcountydrugawarenesscouncil.org