NFHS Wrestling Team Persisted in Team Duals Tournament

Freshman Dylan Lyerly wrestles a West Forsyth High School competitor while his team cheers him on.

Carena Ravenel, Staff Writer

On Saturday, Jan. 12, the North Forsyth High School wrestling team placed fourth for the regionals for team duels when they traveled to Forsyth Central High School to participate in a tournament. This was the first time in 10 years that North did not make it into state. Even though the team did not qualify for state this year, they still persisted, showing much school spirit and support for their team.  

The first school that North went up against was Lambert High School. North fought diligently and it payed out in the end when they won with a score of 43-24. North wrestled against West next, losing with a score of 24-46. However, the loss did not discourage the North wrestlers, who they won against Milton in the next match with a score of 41-30. The final match North participated in was against Forsyth Central High School. North lost with a final score of 21-54.

An important  match that took place at the tournament was between North freshman Bentley Wheeler and Central Senior Sam Aldridge. Wheeler had wrestled Aldridge two times before in individual tournaments and had lost to him both times, but but for this tournament, Wheeler came out victorious in overtime. It was 1-1 at the end of the third period, so they went into the first overtime of the tournament and no one got a takedown. They went into the two 30-second periods of overtime; both competitors got out with an escape. They then went into the ultimate rideout phase. Wheeler rode Aldridge out. Aldridge almost had an escape, but the overtime bell rang just in time, allowing Wheeler to finally defeat his rival.

Head Manager Sydney Jarrard said, “Alexander Keller, Bentley Wheeler, Tate Bissell, Dylan Lyerly and Tristan Graham showed a lot of heart at the tournament. They were fighting their hardest to win and really get us where we needed to be. Even though we didn’t get to qualify for state it was still just a really exciting experience to see everyone wrestling their hearts out and trying to be the best wrestlers they could be.”

Regardless of the outcome, the NFHS wrestling team did an amazing job and will practice with even more rigor than this season to compete in state next year.

• NFHS Wrestling Team Persisted in Team Duals Tournament

News

Low Paying Jobs That Can Pay Lower Than Minimum Wage

News

Stars of NFHS Choir

Goodbye North, Love Seniors

An Ode to Notre Dame

Ask a Senior: Are You Ready for Senior Year?

• Features

Kiss 2019 End of the Road Tour Hits Atlanta

News

Measles Outbreak in U.S. Contributes to the Rise of the Internet Censorship

News

NFHS Implements New Schedule for 2019-2020

Editorial/Opinion

Rising Internet Censorship: The Take-Down of Your Favorite Social Media Apps

News

Farewell Family Dollar