Seniors Achieve Semifinalist Status

Seniors Brian Grasso and Emma Browning cheerfully smile at the camera with the knowledge of their possibly imminent scholarship opportunity. Browning and Grasso studied for days preparing for the PSAT their junior year, working to achieve high enough scores to be considered for the National Merit Scholarship. “I actually got a higher score my sophomore year,” Emma explains, laughing. “You can do a lot with $2500. To be considered for this scholarship could mean lower college tuition, which would make the preparation worth it.”

Eden Dunford, Poetry Editor

Every year, 16,000 students nationwide qualify as semifinalists in the National Merit Scholarship program. The National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) gives grants to commendable high school students based on academic accomplishment and other abilities and skills. To become a semifinalist, one must be in the top 1% of scores for the PSAT during his or her junior year. At our school this year, two seniors, Emma Browning and Brian Grasso achieved this prestigious status. As semifinalists, Browning and Grasso are eligible to continue in the scholarship competition to possibly win up to $2500 in scholarships from the program’s funds, in addition to national recognition that leads to scholarships from other businesses or corporations. These scholarships open many doorways for college and work opportunities.

Browning and Grasso are both highly qualified for the honor with many AP credits, places in the top ten of their class, and a slew of extracurricular activities- many of which help our community. In order to continue in the competition to become finalists, they must meet all the requirements noted by the NMSC, including rigorous course work, high achieving SAT scores, and a full recommendation or endorsement by Dr. Hebert. “This program has become a pacesetter, an accepted standard of excellence and a beacon to guide able students toward higher education,” said Timothy E. McGuire, the director of NMSC.

Our semifinalists’ plans for their higher education include college, of course. Browning wishes to attend Georgia Tech for international relations, to study abroad in Japan, and to save the world. Grasso hopes to study at Duke University for global health with a pre-med track. He has already begun this work with his leadership in the Simple Charity club. Receiving the National Merit Scholarship can “get [them] one step closer to [their] goals,” said Browning. They find out if they move up to finalist position in February. Until then, wish them luck.