Surviving Freshman Year for Dummies

These Raider Wire freshmen may have a hard time adjusting to the new schedules and a bigger school, but they will eventually adapt to the newer environment of high school. They will learn to enjoy the simple pleasures of freedom, trust, and the ability to show the world who they really are.

Kayla Salemi and Kristin Iler, Opinion Editor and Staff Writer

There are a myriad of struggles that tie together while transitioning from “top dog 8th grader” to “lower class freshman.” Many freshmen tremble at the mere sight of an upperclassman. They fear that they are going to fall prey to hazing, or they will be a target for bullying. This guide is meant not only to help freshmen get over their fears but also to guide them through this year. We are here to separate the urban myths from the true facts when it comes to surviving Freshman year, and the actual level of cruelty that high school holds.

Face the Facts: You’ll be called a “Freshie”

Many freshmen do not want to be labeled as a “freshie” in the upperclassmen’s eyes, but there is

No guaranteed way of ensuring one’s safety. Many upperclassmen do not even say that anymore. At most, sophomores will jokingly taunt freshmen with that name.

You will find out who your real friends are quickly

One thing that almost every single person goes through in high school is drama. Many of those people you assumed to be your best friends in middle school will soon discard you. As freshmen advance into other grade levels, people will see an enormous dwindle in your so-called “popularity,” but was being popular really all that fun anyway? Although in high school you will lose many “friends,” at the same time true friendships will be formed. Doing your homework is not lame. Many students complain that they should have never slacked during freshman year, and now they are forced to work even harder through the rest of the duration of high school, because they have extra work classes now. Not doing your homework does not make you cool or not cool. Doing your homework will ensure that you know what you are doing  and will help show a teacher what he/she needs to explain more clearly. Since we are on the topic of teachers, do not be afraid to ask them for help because they are there to help you. Coming in before or after school will only benefit you more, especially if your grades are not where you wish them to be.

Join as many clubs as you can! You will not be disappointed.

Clubs are neat because you get to meet a lot of new people, and at the same time you are doing something you enjoy. Being a freshman and joining clubs opens the doors to meet upperclassmen that could possibly be friends if you continue to contribute to the club then you could move of the ladder and possibly have leadership responsibilities in the future. There are so many variations of clubs, and there is most likely at least one that pertains to your interests.

Do not be a loud-mouth.

Yes, we all understand that by being loud you are drawing attention from the other students, but do not be that annoying, over talkative freshman. There is a fine line between being funny and being obnoxious (boy, did we cross that line quite a bit). Instead of trying to be the class clown on the first day or school, just show everyone you are confident but low-key. The majority of the student body does not want to be sitting in class anyway, and being an annoying person that does everything in his/her power to be a smart aleck to the teacher is not helping the situation. It is simply making a worse first impression.

High school is not all about focusing on a higher level of education.  High school is about finding your true friends and being yourself. You should go through freshman year confident and proud, not shy and hidden. Speak for yourself, be yourself, and never forget who you truly are.