Tennis Training: How North Forsyth’s Team is Preparing for the Spring Season

Pre-season training is nothing truly extraordinary, but the real dedication of Raider tennis players is demonstrated in their independent efforts to build a strong team. Many prospective members are close friends outside of their sport, and they take advantage of their bond by making plans several times a week to meet and practice tennis on their own.

.

Holley Murray, Literary Editor

In the wake of the 2018 U.S. Open, the international buzz surrounding tennis is more alive than ever as people lament about the defeats of their favorite competitors, root passionately for them in their victories, and debate controversies regarding athletic star Serena Williams and her dispute with referees over a loss. On a local scale, the Forsyth County high school tennis season does not begin until January. However, this does not stop the dedication of North Forsyth High School’s boys and girls tennis teams.

There are nearly four months until the season begins, so there seems to be no rush to prepare prospective team members for tryouts. Regardless, North Forsyth athletes who plan to score a spot on the team are already getting a head start. Two specific organized opportunities to pay to practice with a professional trainer on Tuesdays and Wednesdays are encouraged by coaches; while they are not associated with the school, the lessons are recommended to interested students to prepare for the season.

“It’s not unusual to get a spontaneous text in the big friend group chat asking if anyone wants to meet at the Lake Forest neighborhood tennis courts in five minutes,” noted Junior Anna Anglin. “There seems to always be something going on every day of the week, and there’s never not an opportunity to improve your own skills with friends.” Like many of North’s tennis players, Anglin attends the coach-recommended practices with the professional trainers but she also regularly meets with other players to practice on her own.

Another tennis-playing Junior named Sam Garner stated that “the bros” take the time each week to “practice plenty outside of school and have a good time playing together and bettering [their] tennis skills.” If North Forsyth’s prospective tennis players can carry this dedication with them into the spring season, it looks like a victory streak is imminent.

• Tennis Training: How North Forsyth’s Team is Preparing for the Spring Season

Editorial/Opinion

Are “Hardening” Locks Necessary?

Sports

Raiders Fall Short 34-35 Against War Eagles Football Team

• Sports

Georgia Bulldogs Triumph Against Florida Gators With 36-17 Final Score

Sports

A Secret Society: NFHS Men’s Volleyball Team

Local

Recap of the 2018 Varsity Volleyball Season

News

Important Economic Changes of 2018

Local

PSAT: What To Expect From Those Who Have Taken It

Editorial/Opinion

“Oh, The Places You’ll Go” – College Visits, Yes or No?

iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max Ready to Sweep the World

Editorial/Opinion

We Are the Lost Generation