Is Valentine’s Day Overrated?

Is Valentine’s Day Overrated?

As Valentine’s Day makes its way around the corner, couples start their shopping for excessive amounts of candy, jewelry, cards, stuffed animals and all things hearts. Is this holiday just another way for companies to make money?

Melina Vergilis, Opinion Article

Every year when Valentine’s Day rolls around, couples run around trying to look for the perfect gift for their significant other. The perfect gift and candy has become the overall meaning of this ancient holiday and not the meaning of the day itself: love. The cost of a gift is not what is important or even the events planned for the holiday by couples. Companies have created a precedent, and there is a need for everyone to buy an excessive amount of items just to see their significant other smile.

The other day, I walked through Walmart and planned on just shopping for groceries. As I made my way around the store, I realized that the entire place was covered in white, red and pink hearts and other Valentine’s Day decorations. Prices were increased on all things having to do with the holiday. If I wanted to buy cupcakes, they had to have hearts all over them, and they were easily one dollar more than usual. I shook it off and headed over to Dunkin’ Donuts afterwards, and it was the same thing. I could not get a classic chocolate frosted donut with sprinkles unless they had little hearts all over. This holiday, like every other holiday, has become a piece of propaganda and a simple way for businesses to promote themselves and make money.

The history of Valentine’s Day has been lost and meaningless to many. https://www.history.com/topics/valentines-day/history-of-valentines-day-2 The article attached is information on the history and true meaning of how the holiday came about. It is so easy to look at any holiday and think of gifts to give and candy to purchase rather than how it made its debut.

Instead of trying to find the most expensive gift for someone, make memories count by just simply being with the one(s) you love this Valentine’s Day.

• Is Valentine’s Day Overrated?

Editorial/Opinion

Music Has Lost Its Soul–Where’d It Go?

• Is Valentine’s Day Overrated?

Editorial/Opinion

Why You Should NOT Listen To Music While Studying

• Is Valentine’s Day Overrated?

Editorial/Opinion

Generation Z: Generation Z Faces A Dilemma; Stay the Same, or Change the World

• Is Valentine’s Day Overrated?

Editorial/Opinion

The Grammy Awards and its Concerning Voting Process

• Is Valentine’s Day Overrated?

Editorial/Opinion

Negative Body and Self-Images Are Not Helping Anyone

• Editorial/Opinion

The Reason Behind the Super Bowl’s Lackluster Halftime

• Is Valentine’s Day Overrated?

Editorial/Opinion

The Art of Conversation

• Is Valentine’s Day Overrated?

Editorial/Opinion

The Spread of the Flu

• Is Valentine’s Day Overrated?

Editorial/Opinion

The Toll That Self-Diagnosis Takes on Mental Illness

• Is Valentine’s Day Overrated?

Editorial/Opinion

Should We Have a Dual-Enrolled Valedictorian?

Is Valentine’s Day Overrated?