A New Album, A New Era

A New Album, A New Era

The 1975’s vinyl of their new album, I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It, displayed in Urban Outfitters.

Leilani Gibbons, Staff Writer

It has been 3 years since the 1975 released their debut, self titled album in August of 2013 and they recently released their new album, I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It on February 26th, 2015. Since their debut album, the band has grown exponentially in popularity, going on two world tours with their The 1975 album. This 16 song record was a flow of melancholy sounding tracks along with some upbeat rock/pop songs in the mix, laying the foundation that formed their fanbase and avid listeners.

With this new album, I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It, the band wanted to change their image, transitioning from their two toned black and white theme to a pink and white aesthetic. To match this change in color, the style of the 1975’s music also dramatically transitioned. From the release of the album’s first singles, Love Me, UGH!, and The Sound, it was clear that they would be sounding extremely different. With a 70’s pop like music style, this 17 track album showcases the band’s diverse talents and various music styles that they are able to pull off. Alongside their upbeat tunes, the band also includes some instrumental and acoustic songs that succeed in tying the record together.

The 1975 are known for putting together clever lyrics with a beautiful presentation. To continue this legacy, the band incorporated references from their first album into the lyrics of new songs, symbolizing their growth and development as a group. The most prominent instance of this happening is a quote from the songs Robbers and Change of Heart, when “She had a face straight outta magazine” transitions to “You used to have a face straight out of a magazine/ now you just look like anyone.” This occurs various times, appealing to old fans as well as the newcomers who are just being introduced to the creative components that The 1975 use. Not only is the band artistic, but they also have a nostalgic element to their music, which immediately draws in any listener.

The 1975’s new album is a diverse collection of songs ranging from a 70’s pop sound to acoustic dirges. It is a unique and different sound that can be appreciated by a large audience and is a staple for any playlist.

• A New Album, A New Era

Goodbye North, Love Seniors

• A New Album, A New Era

An Ode to Notre Dame

• A New Album, A New Era

Ask a Senior: Are You Ready for Senior Year?

• Features

Kiss 2019 End of the Road Tour Hits Atlanta

• A New Album, A New Era

How to Have a Memorable Stay-cation

• A New Album, A New Era

How to Stay Motivated in the Last Few Months of the School Year

• A New Album, A New Era

A Step-by-Step Guide to Prom for First-Timers

• A New Album, A New Era

Perfect Prom Preparation

• A New Album, A New Era

North Forsyth DECA Takes On the 2019 State CDC

• A New Album, A New Era

Arabian Nights: Everything You Need to Know about Prom 2019

A New Album, A New Era